Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, quad draw merges the vertex when they are near the center

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jack_tem
2690 Views, 4 Replies

Help, quad draw merges the vertex when they are near the center

This happen me all the time, when I'm doing some retopology the quad draw merges the vertex that they are near the center with symmetry. 

I tried to scale the mesh, frozen, delete history, unselect auto weld,  but nothing works, still happen. 

In this video you can see the problem better :

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
brentmc
in reply to: jack_tem

Hi,

The issue is happening because of several factors:

1) You have symmetry enabled but the vertex you are moving is not symmetrical with the vertex on the opposite side

2) The vertex is very close to the seam and (since it is not symmetrical) it is being snapped to the seam.

You could fix it by either disabling symmetry or symmetrizing your mesh but there is a tool setting to control the seam snapping tolerance.

Note: the symmetry settings should accessible from the Quad Draw tool settings but aren't so I'll make sure an issue gets logged for that.

In the meantime you can double-click on the Move tool icon and change the symmetry seam tolerance to something smaller like 0.001 since these settings are shared among all the tools that support symmetry.

screenshot_000442.png

--

Brent

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer
Message 3 of 5
mcginnc
in reply to: brentmc

Added MAYA-112929: Quad Draw: Symmetry settings need to be accessible from tool

Catherine McGinnis
Maya Quality Assurance
Message 4 of 5
jack_tem
in reply to: brentmc

Thanks!!!

Message 5 of 5
nickEL2MR
in reply to: jack_tem

Before you spend too much time disabling symmetry or fiddling with snap distance. This often happens if your object is small and you are using it as a live surface with the Quad Draw tool. If you have scaled up your reference object and still getting this, ensure that you Freeze it's transformations as its geometry needs to be updated, rather than just the object's scale.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report