Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conform array to shape

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
VictorvdBrink
133 Views, 2 Replies

Conform array to shape

I have this roof shape that I want to use as a template for an array of roof tiles. I want the rooftiles to conform to the shape of the roof. I am looking for what the easiest way of doing this is without doing it manually. 

Is it perhaps possible to do this in a Mash network? If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear. Thank you in advance. 

Here's a screenshot to help illustrate my point. 

5bac9919e7f85b0b942f424f4fc9f74c.png

Here's an example of what the pattern is supposed to look like:

tejas-borja-c-50.21-celler-curved-roof-tile---nature-fosca-ceramic-cladding-archello.1620822368.461[1].png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
damaggio
in reply to: VictorvdBrink

You can certainly do it with Mash, there are roof tile tutorials on YouTube using Mash but also if the roof is not extremely complicated you can do it much faster by hand duplicating the tiles as seen in this example when we did Pinocchio. You can also do it straight first and bend the entire roof, Mash is  a great tool to learn so I also recommend that.Hilltop_17.jpgHilltop_19.jpg

Message 3 of 3
VictorvdBrink
in reply to: damaggio

Thank you very much for your reply! I had a suspicion Mash would probably be the way to go for this. However I couldn't find any good sources on doing it on a curved roof. The examples you gave seem to be quite straight as well. However I found this one just now and I'll give that a shot and get back:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report