Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Manage Skeletal Models with Parameter Sketch Filters

Better Manage Skeletal Models with Parameter Sketch Filters

All,

Sometimes I work on somewhat complex skeletal models, in the sense that there are lots of sketches for the individual components and a large number of corresponding parameters.  I would like to see a filter added to the parameter table that would allow users to control the list of parameters based on the visible sketches or by checking boxes of the sketch parameters desired.  This would pare down the list of model, user and reference parameters to only display parameters relevant to the geometry in the desired sketches.  If this is not possible, could all the parameters be grouped together this way and perhaps pushed to the top or bottom of the parameter table?

What does everyone think?  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Sketch Parameter Filter.png

7 Comments
robert_szykowski
Contributor

I did that couple times by using same prefix for all parameters from the same sketch. It helped finding the parameters a little. But it's a cheap workaround.

Filtering by sketch or at least colour-coding would be nice.

Cheers,

rob

PaulMunford
Autodesk

Another idea to improve Parameter naming:

Automatically replace spaces with Underscores '_' in parameter names on creation.
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/automatically-replace-spaces-with-underscores-in-param...

DRoam
Mentor

@dan_szymanski, this was implemented in Inventor 2018, wasn't it? Same for this one? --> Parameter list specific to sketch.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

@DRoam, I don't feel comfortable marking these as implemented as the "By Feature" filter and "Consumed By" column enhancements added to the Parameter dialog in Autodesk Inventor 2018 target features, not sketches.  Although this function should deliver some relief to parameter grouping, the authors of both posts might still need more (regarding sketch interactions).

DRoam
Mentor

@dan_szymanski Oh ok, I didn't know we couldn't select Sketches for the filter function. I should have checked that. I just did so, and you're correct that the "By Feature" filter doesn't allow selecting Sketches. For clarification, though, the "Consumed By" column actually does target Sketches and will indicate if a Parameter is consumed directly by a Sketch.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying about the Filter function and keeping these ideas active. Hopefully support for selecting Sketches for filtering can be added down the road.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can, based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report