Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Wheel Factor control - Add the Registry change to Application Options

Zoom Wheel Factor control - Add the Registry change to Application Options

The ability to adjust the amount of Zoom in your computer mouse is available in AutoCAD as a system variable called ZOOMFACTOR.  Inventor has this ability as well, but it has to be done through the registry editor.  This seems like a simple enough addition to make to the Application Options for users that work on small designs and the users that work on large designs.

Current Location of the Registry Edit to accomplish this....

Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Autodesk/Inventor/ResistryVersion21.0 (this is Inventor 2017)/System/Preferences/Display

In here you will find a registry key named Wheel Zoom Speed with a default value of 1.  Modify this value to a lower setting to zoom less and a higher number to zoom more.  I find a setting of .5 is rather tolerable if you are working on what most Inventor users work on (small or medium assemblies).

2016-08-08_15-45-46

10 Comments
kavace
Contributor

It's 2018. Don't make People edit the Registry to properly frame their screenshots.

cetus35
Contributor

With something that's so easily adjusted in AutoCAD (simply type "ZOOMFACTOR"), it's hard to believe that a Registry edit has to be made to adjust this in Inventor (it's September 2018, Inventor 2019, currently).

I can't see how the default value works for everyone. I work on small to medium assemblies. (for example, a go-kart frame or sometimes small wooden workshops, 12'x16'). I can roll the mouse wheel one click and what I'm sketching (or working on in an assembly)  is not large enough  or one click the other way now it's zoomed in too much.

So it's not really the "zoom speed" so much for me, it's the zoom "amount".

Can one of the developers please make a small box somewhere in the vicinity of Options > Display tab > 3D Navigation area > Zoom Behavior > Reverse Direction/Zoom to Cursor that allows the zoom factor to be changed?

Thank you for your consideration.

ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Accepted - This is now being considered for a future release as story 19258

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you please add this in. I use a mouse with a freewheel so I can just 'wing' it to scroll. The standard setting does not have the resolution I need, I have a 3d mouse but using the keyboard and mouse is faster for me.  The problem now is that IT likes to lock the computers up and I think that having to go into the registry to adjust this setting is ridiculous for a product like yours. I should not have to modify the registry to fix this. Can you please add this in and quick, I can't use the software with ease like this, I might have to suggest switching to Solidworks for this reason alone. It makes the program feel chunky and awkward.

cetus35
Contributor
I don't think it's so much clunky or awkward it's just that it's a very simple addition to the interface that for some reason one or more developers decided it wasn't needed. What makes the problem seem worse is that in another 2019 product, AutoCAD, it's a simple typing of "zoomwheel" and type a lower or higher value to zoom slower or faster.
I don't understand Autodesk's apparent reluctance (there have been complaints about that stupid registry edit for a while) to fix this. A product that costs what seems like $40 million a year and customer complaints are slow to be fixed. My company would never pay what we pay for Autodesk products if we didn't have customers that insist on Autodesk file formats. So I won't spout off that lame "We're going to SolidWorks!" because we couldn't even if we wanted to.

ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager

This functionality is currently available in the Inventor pre-release Alpha build with a view to releasing it as part of 2020. If you would like to try it then please apply for access to the Inventor Feedback project using this link:

http://Autode.sk/InventorBeta

kavace
Contributor

Thanks! Great new option. Works perfectly.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2020. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

hanslammerts
Collaborator

<Vote>  !

no longer an option ??

cetus35
Contributor

hanslammerts,

I realize I'm posting 4 months late, but do you mean voting isn't an option or the topic of this thread is not an option?

I don't know anything about voting but the feature is indeed implemented and is still here in Inventor 2020.1.1 (Oct 2019).

It can be found at: Application Options > Display tab > 3D Navigation area > Scroll Wheel Sensitivity.

I hope that helps you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report