Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is sketch plane rotated every time I create a new sketch?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
glotz_99
1109 Views, 7 Replies

Why is sketch plane rotated every time I create a new sketch?

I am working on a plant drawing and when I create new parts I usually do a sketch on the floor and the plane was always parallel or perpendicular to the walls. Somewhere along the way I must have inserted a part that had a sketch plane that was rotated 45 degrees when looking down. See screenshot. So every time I create a new part, the plane is now rotated, can someone please help, I have no clue how to fix this. 

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mdavis22569
in reply to: glotz_99

can you share the data-set

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
glotz_99
in reply to: mdavis22569

I think the file is too big to post

Message 4 of 8
glotz_99

Update; Ok I know how to rotate the view using with the "Edit Coordinate System", but I have to do this for every sketch I create, that's crazy there must be some work around. 

Message 5 of 8
mdavis22569

can you make a screencast video of this then?

Is it just this assembly or anytime ?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

@glotz_99 wrote:

...Somewhere along the way I must have inserted a part that had a sketch plane that was rotated 45 degrees when looking down. 

Can't  you narrow this down to the single *.ipt file?

or

you can zip and attach project folder up to 50MB

or

you can upload to https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ of any size and provide a public link.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! This has something to do with how Inventor interpolate sketch coordinate based on a selected planar face. The face loop may affect the coordinate, which may not be desirable. If you want predictable coordinate system, you may want to create UCS and create a sketch based on its origin planes.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 8
swalton
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The Inventor development team made a design decision to automate sketch coordinate definition during sketch creation. 

There is not a tool to change the coordinate definition while in the sketch command.  This is an as-designed limitation of Inventor.  I think it should be changed, but I am not aware of an Idea post requesting any new behavior. 

The workarounds are to exit the sketch and edit the coordinate system before adding any geometry, or create a UCS and make your sketch with it.  Both are cumbersome and I usually just ignore the odd and skewed sketch coordinate systems. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report