Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What format should images be in?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
SharkDesign
2157 Views, 17 Replies

What format should images be in?

When importing an image to use a decal I can never get it to come in at the correct size.

I've also noticed that the image will come in at a different physical size depending on the DPI and wondered if this was the reason for the image not being correct.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I'm setting the size of the image in Paint Shop Pro and importing into Inventor 2010.

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

There is information about this in the help file. Please see attached image. 

As you place an image in a sketch, a bounding rectangle shows you the size of the image. You can resize the image but you cannot change its aspect ratio. Its overall size changes, but not its proportions.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 3 of 18

Thanks for you reply. I know how to insert images, what I need to know is how to get it to come in at the correct size.

If I have an image which is 100mm by 100mm and I bring it into Inventor, it will no longer measure 100mm square.

Expert Elite
Message 4 of 18
-niels-
in reply to: SharkDesign

I just tried with simple images from photoshop.

I set the size to 40 mm x 20 mm and tried different dpi (72 dpi was standard, also tried 300 dpi)

Both images came in the same size, so i'm not sure why it isn't working for you.

What format are you using for the image? (i used .png)

What are the size and dpi settings you used in PSP?

edit: i attached my 300 dpi test image... what size does that come in for you?

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 18
sam_m

dpi with images is frankly a load of rubbish and just confuses the issue.

An image is a collection of pixels, the more pixels the more information and better the image at the expense of file-size.  Any image can be scaled to print at any size - thus dpi is practically useless.  Afaik it's only really used by graphic designers to ensure the images are kept small enough so there's enough pixel-information for the printer - eg if it's known the printer has a resolution of 600 dpi then a 600x600 pixel image scaled to 1" x 1" is the smallest you can realistically use as each pixel represents a blob of ink.  I've read that it can help if the image and printer resolution are multiples, so for a 1" print on a 300dpi printer you should be looking for an image resolution of 300, 600, 900 etc. - but tbh, it's not really needed.

When you bring an image into Inventor (import image command when in a 2d sketch) it has a boundary box and needs to be constrained in exactly the same way as everything else - so if you want the image to be 100mm tall then just dimension it as 100mm - the image will scale to suit.  So, no need to worry about dpi - in reality you just want to use as large an image as possible (within reason).  The max Inventor can import is 4096x4096, I think.

If you want a mask then have that colour in the bottom-right (? i think) pixel and choose the mask option in the image's Inventor property-box.

As for file-type...  personally avoid jpg's as they're evil and lossy (the compression ratio used corrupts the image data, so can become blocky) - so stick with png's (lossless compression, but can't remember Inventor being able to import them) or bmps (try to reduce colour-pallet with bmps or the file-size will be massive as it's an uncompressed format - personally strip them down to 4bit, 16 colours, for decals/silkscreens/labels in Inventor as I'm never going to print more than 16 colours.).

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 6 of 18
-niels-
in reply to: sam_m

Just had an interesting read on DPI here: http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

Thanks for raising my curiosity on that Sam_m Smiley Wink

The OP want to bring in his images without having to dimension them, so he'll have to look at what his software is actually doing.

In my case Photoshop CS5 and IV2011 are doing what he wants, but he has different software...

As for .PNG: IV2011 let's you insert those, no problem.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: -niels-

@-niels- wrote:

The OP want to bring in his images without having to dimension them, so he'll have to look at what his software is actually doing.

It would still be best to dimension it, to make sure that everything is constrained.

Mike

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

You have to place the image in a sketch anyway, so just create some sketch geometry and constrain the image to that. Then the image will scale to the correct size.

I've attached an image of a relay where I downloaded the part file from the Omron website. I photographed each side of an actual relay, cleaned the images up using MS Office Picture Manager, then created a sketch on each face with the projected edges as construction lines. I inserted the image, constrained it to the projected geometry and created the decal.

Short of reverse-engineering and building a relay form the inside out (huge waste of time!) this is the easiest way to get a part to look like the real thing.

Hope this helps!

Scott

Message 9 of 18
SharkDesign
in reply to: Anonymous

THanks for everyones help, I still can't get it to come in at the correct size, but I can dimension it afterwards. I

didn't actually realise you could dimension an image to start with.

The other problem I was having was that I was exporting the image from autocad and it was exporting at a really awful resolution, and once again, not the correct size. I found this link useful for producing a high res image from Acad.

http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=1028

Expert Elite
Message 10 of 18
sam_m

as said before....  there is no "correct size" for an image - don't bother worrying or even trying to work it out.  Ignore and forget any dpi settings/info for images.

like sketches and everything in Inventor, you need to dimension/constrain images placed in sketches - just constrain an edge of the image to a parallel face, dimension 1 edge to scale the image and then dimension to a point to place it.  By correctly constraining the image in the sketch you can always update/change the image outside of Inventor and as long as the aspect-ratio hasn't changed it will update and re-map within Inventor (if the aspect-ratio changes it will keep the size of the dimensioned edge and grow/shrink along the opposite axis).

Getting crisp and decent images form AutoCAD is a nightmare to itself.  I use "wmfout" command to create a wmf from AutoCAD - wmf are vector images so scale easily without becoming "blocky".  I then bring this wmf into CorelDraw to clean-up, adjust line-weights to make it look nice and colour, etc.  Then use CorelDraw's export command to create a bmp/png to bring into Inventor.  Yes, I know it sounds like a load of extra work, but found you HAVE to do something to AutoCAD's export to clean it up and make it look nice.

if you're new to images in Inventor, do not forget you have to decal them onto the part - don't just leave them floating in the sketch.  The decal command is helpfully hidden in the part's "create" drop-down from the ribbon.  This command is needed to wrap the image onto the suface below it - how you apply images to non-flat surfaces, etc.  (but, note there's a bug in Iv2011 that decals become corrupted if the part's surface has a bump-map - but think we're getting ahead of ourselves there).

finally - again, forget about image dpi...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 11 of 18

If there is a large difference before and after importing an image, this should be an issue. And we need to double check it.

So I wonder whether we can get a sample image you use.

If so, we can try to reproduce the issue and give out more detail explanation and solution.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 12 of 18

Thanks Daniela, please could you provide an email address that I can send the image to.

Everyone is saying to ignore the size and dimension it. However, AutoCAD knows exactly what size it is when you create the image and photoshop knows exactly what size the image is when I open it there. I could open the jpeg in any photo editing tool I like and it will be the same size. The same applies to desktop publishing and programs like Illustrator.

So how come when you bring it into Inventor the program has no idea what the size of the image is?

Am I missing something here?

Expert Elite
Message 13 of 18

You can post the image here on this discussion topic, and I will download it from this item.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 14 of 18

I would rather not upload pictures of unreleased products on the internet.

I hope you understand.

Expert Elite
Message 15 of 18
-niels-

James, out of curiosity... did the test image i posted also come in at a wrong size for you?

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 16 of 18
SharkDesign

The 40x20 image comes in at 124.88x62.44mm

Expert Elite
Message 17 of 18
-niels-

@SharkDesign wrote:

The 40x20 image comes in at 124.88x62.44mm

Ok, since that image comes in correctly for me, i'd suggest Daniela uses my test image to see if she can get the same result you're getting.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 18 of 18
Daniela_Koloszko

In my case the test image comes correctly in Inventor, image attached. I got the original image, so we will look at it and check what's wrong.

Daniela Koloszko

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report