Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weld pattern - can't choose any feature [Inventor 2018]

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
j.pavlicek
621 Views, 7 Replies

Weld pattern - can't choose any feature [Inventor 2018]

Hello there,

I'm trying to make circular pattern of the parts welded to the base (part). There is Pattern menu in Weld tab, so I expect that this is for making weld patterns (help leads to standard assembly pattern help page).

When I'm in the "Welds" enviroment, pattern are greyed out, so I created some welds (fillet) and hit the return button. Now pattern menu is availible. But I can't choose anything in the assemly. Moreover, when I select the Weld (in the browser) before, it tells me that: "Select set contains object that cannot be patterned".

Here is GIF:

weld-pattern.gif

Inventor 2022, Windows 10 Pro
Sorry for bad English.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
-niels-
in reply to: j.pavlicek

I don't have that much experience with welds, but i do add them for visual reference from time to time.

As you have noticed, pattern is greyed out when laying welds (in the weld sub-environment) so in order to make a circular pattern weld, you'll probably have to make use of the intermittency option:

2018-04-30_1022.png

Hope that helps, laying welds the way you want can be quite cumbersome...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 8
j.pavlicek
in reply to: -niels-

Thanks for answer, but intermittence option is not what I'm looking for. I need to weld X pieces of segments to base ring. Each of these segments is attached by two fillet welds. (How you can see on GIF in my initial post).

Sorry for bad English.
Message 4 of 8
-niels-

Ah, ok... but that should be easy...
Add your segments with a pattern and then make your weld.
If i'm assuming correctly, then you can select your base ring as a first selection and then just select all the side faces of the segments that need a weld.
Like i stated, welds can be pretty cumbersome...

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 8
j.pavlicek
in reply to: -niels-

Oh, is this really only solution? Because there is plenty fo these segments = work for clicking monkey 😞

Sorry for bad English.
Message 6 of 8
-niels-

From a quick test i did, i'd say it looks like it... Smiley Sad
I did a quick check over on the Inventor ideas, but couldn't find something specifically mentioning this workflow.
Only that the weldment environment could use some improvement...
I can certainly see the "click monkey" amount of work if you have a large pattern type product, so i'd suggest making an idea for this and reporting back here so people can cast a vote for it.
I know i certainly will. Smiley Wink

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Indeed, currently Inventor does not allow weld beads to be patterned. I have heard the request before. Please take a look at Ideas Forum and vote for the idea. Or, submit a new one. Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 8
j.pavlicek

Vote for: Pattern welds feature (Idea Board)

Sorry for bad English.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report