Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tube and Pipe - Using butt welded and slip flanges in same style

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
908 Views, 5 Replies

Tube and Pipe - Using butt welded and slip flanges in same style

I have a pipe system designed to use butt welded fittings and need to add some slip-on weld flanges but when I check Flanged in the tube and pipe styles dialog box and browse to find ASME B16.5 Flange Slip-on Welding it gives me an error that "The Endtreatment of the Flange (Slip-on Welded/Flanged) does not match the style's setting. Do you wish to continue?"  Is it not possible to have butt welded and not in the same style?  Right now all my pipe lengths are short because the pipe is not extending into the flange.

sminnema_0-1592856444863.png

I've tried to edit the engagement distance but it's grayed out on any flange pair in the middle of a pipe run.  I can change that distance on a flange at the end of a pipe run only.  

sminnema_1-1592856554004.png

Anyone know how to fix this?

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CGBenner
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

Hi, I just saw this post and was wondering if you were still looking for an answer?

In your first image, this is just a warning, but if you say Yes, it should allow you to use the slip on Flange in your style.  it's just making sure you are ok with the end treatment mismatch.  I have done this many times, for example, with a lap joint flange on socket weld piping.... and it worked just fine.

In your second image, I'm unclear on why you are trying to change the spacing, and how you are placing the flange.  Can you offer a bit more detail on your workflow?

Thank you!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: CGBenner

Thanks yeah if I say yes for the first part it does add them in ok. 

I am still trying to figure out the second part.  It's a slip flange so the pipe slides into the flange a certain distance depending on the size of pipe.  Right now the pipe ends where the flange begins. Here's a picture of the pipe layout 

sminnema_0-1593452040336.png

sminnema_1-1593452085338.png

In the zoomed in view of a pipe spool you'll see the pipe isn't actually going inside the flange like it should for a slip fit.  So I try to edit the engagement distance but it's grayed out.  

Message 4 of 6
CGBenner

@Anonymous 

What hold the slip flange in place at the end of the pipe spool?  Is there a lip or stub end at the end of the pipe?  To keep the slip flange from sliding straight past the end of the pipe?

Chris Benner

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: CGBenner

There is nothing that holds it in place.  You back it off from the front of the flange face the thickness of the pipe wall + 3mm is what we do in our shop. 

sminnema_0-1593454341960.png

I feel like their slip flanges are not defined correctly.  

Message 6 of 6
CGBenner

@Anonymous 

Can you post the part file here?  Is this a standard Content Center component?  It may be that you will need to make it custom and author it to suit your need.

Chris Benner

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report