Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Basic? Path imported from dxf file cant be properly cut

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
BuildEnthusiast
330 Views, 5 Replies

Too Basic? Path imported from dxf file cant be properly cut

Hi,

I have really been trying for a long time now and am left clueless.

Additional knowledge is probably missing, but don't know where else to turn.

Your help is highly appreciated!

The intention>

I created a path in Adobe Illustrator. It consists of two curves and a line. It's one complete path.

Imported successfully into an empty sketch of Inventor 2020.

Lines and construction lines are displayed.

Now I want to cut off the tipp of that spike like something.

Effect>

Whatever I try, after trimming, splitting and removing constraints, the selected elements always keep connected to one side of the remaining drawing when using the tool "Move".

Even when I say yes to the question

"the geometry being edited is constrained to other geometry. would you like those constraints removed?"

So I don't understand what the error in my procedure is.

Can anyone tell please ?

The attached file displays the state of drawing with trimmed line, split curves and removed all constraints (what is shown when selecting the entire drawing).

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Donald

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi @BuildEnthusiast 

Welcome to the forum.

I would just make 2 solids from the imported geometry and then move one of the solids. Then you can project the profiles into a sketch and export them back out, or what ever you're final goal is.

Inventor is a 3D tool, and therefore sometimes it's just better to think in terms of working with solids than sketches. See the attached Inventor 2020 example file.

edit:

I should point too that there is a coincedent consraint between the spline that gets dragged and the split line... if you move just the 2 point splines and then draw another line to close the point you can do what you need in the sketch... but I'd still recommend working with solids whenever you can. 

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hello Curtis,

thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

I couldn't see your answer first because my post kept being spam-marked for no obvious reason.

(so I read the community rules).

However, I do absolutely appreciate the help-for-free here. And I certainly did not expect to meet the author of my learning book here 🙂

You found the point which kept driving me nuts.

The invisible constraint. For some reason if I mark all the lines and chose to have displayed all constraints, it will NOT show all constraints. After I played with different combinations of selecting lines to move, I found it too and set a "mental marker" to remember that.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis,

I do have another question directly associated to this.
For better explanation, the final goal here is to basically cut a drawing into pieces so they fit the pieces lying underneath.
Imagine a big landscape picture, on a large canvas. The paint is the drawing and the canvas 3 extruded rectangles which have a little bit spacing between each other. Its something you actually find in photography for living room decoration, etc.
So the drawing in the end consists of three objects, each carrying a part of the drawing (with a little bit picture content missing where the spaces between the objects are. That's intentional.).

Since I am not through with your book yet, not sure if this kind of thing is still coming.

I am looking for an efficient way of making these extrusions and applying subtracting extrusions of the drawing parts to it. So in the end, those 3 extruded objects can be moved freely INCLUDING the applied subtraction.

My idea so far is
1. pattern created rectangles (sketch 1)
2. extrusion of sketch 1
3. drawing creation/import above sketch 1 on separate work plane (plane + sketch 2)
4. projection of sketch 1 lines into sketch 2 for precise intersection points
5. splitting drawing in sketch 2, deleting the “space lines” between the contours of the projected lines from sketch 1
6. deleting obsolete help lines in sketch 2
7. closing loops in sketch 2
8. extrusion of clustered sketch 2 elements for subtraction from objects of sketch 1
9. saving a back up copy of the whole thing
10. deleting everything around each block in sketch 1 and sketch 2, depending on which block I want to save as a separate part so I can later assemble them in an assembly file and move them independently

To me this looks a bit over complicated. Is there an easier way to accomplish this ?

Best Regards,

Donald

Message 5 of 6
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

See the attached Inventor 2020 file that demonstrates one method of creating a split panel part ... this might not be exactly what you're attempting to do, but I think it will give you some ideas on the tools to explore. 

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 6

Hello @BuildEnthusiast  !

Great to see you here on Inventor Forum.

Did you find a solution?
If yes, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button as then also other community users can easily find and benefit from the information.
If not please don't hesitate to give an update here in your topic so all members know what ́s the progression on your question is and what might be helpful to achieve what you ́re looking for. 🙂

Находите сообщения полезными? Поставьте "НРАВИТСЯ" этим сообщениям! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
На ваш вопрос успешно ответили? Нажмите кнопку "УТВЕРДИТЬ РЕШЕНИЕ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.

Лена Талхина/Lena Talkhina
Менеджер Сообщества - Русский/Community Manager - Russian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report