Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step file, bend radius and unfold rules

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
sijcooke
933 Views, 9 Replies

Step file, bend radius and unfold rules

Hi,

All helps is really appreciated here!

We often receive step files of sheet metal parts to manufacture. Our customers don't know the bend radiuses out press brake produces, so therefore their step files always have different radiuses.

For this example, if we imagine their step file has 3 folds and each fold has a different radius e.g. 3mm, 4mm and 5mm. Lets presume our press tooling will product a 6mm radius.

If the bend radius of the final part is not critical and the only important dimensions are the overall finished size, can inventor generate the correct sized flat pattern for this?

What I have done is setup a bend table. I entered all the angles in the left column. Then I added a radius column with radius 0mm, and another radius column with radius 10mm.

I then filled in all the bend allowance numbers which create a correct flat pattern with out machine. 

Is this correct? I expected inventor to look at the bend table for each radius bend (3,4,5mm) and all of these radiuses are between 0 and 10mm, so it will use the same deduction for every bend (if the angles are the same).

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks,

Sijcooke

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: sijcooke

Hard to know without some pics or a file to work with.  The flat patterns first of all can only be created using the sheet metal.  Within the sheet metal environment, you can dictate what radii you want.  Default radius is the metal thickness.

Next, the OAL, OAW are dictated based on whether the bends are inside or outside of the bend edge.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
CCarreiras

"""For this example, if we imagine their step file has 3 folds and each fold has a different radius e.g. 3mm, 4mm and 5mm. Let's presume our press tooling will product a 6mm radius."""

When you receive often parts in step, you can use some steps to create a new radius and flat the part properly.

"""If the bend radius of the final part is not critical and the only important dimensions are the overall finished size, can inventor generate the correct sized flat pattern for this?"""

The final dimensions depend from the size of part pannels plus bend compensations and these compensations are calculated based in the bend radius and part thickness, so, for optimal results, it's better to have those bend radius correct.

To have the proper flat with proper compensation, you must have all bend radius as the machine you gonna produce (in your example, 6mm) and like i said in the previous answer,in a few minutes** you can solve that, even in a step (**I'm talking about the usual sheet metal models without big complexity). 

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
SBix26

Can you post a sample file here?  What version are you using?

I wonder if Feature Recognition could be helpful?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.2 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 5 of 10
JDMather

You should be able to Delete Face with Heal option and then place whatever Bends you need.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 10
sijcooke
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks for the replies.

If I have a step file, and use delete face+heal on the bends, and then put the bend back on I can set the radius.. but how do I know what radius to set it to?

I have done some test folds and it looks to me like a tight over bend has a smaller radius than a bend that is less tight.. is this correct? If this is correct and I have a bend e.g. 67.8 degrees on the step file how do I know what radius to change this to? Surly its not going to be BendRadius for every angle bend???

Thanks,

Sijcooke

Message 7 of 10
blair

OD radius less the material thickness will produce the ID bend radius. It could be the same bend radius for all the bend, or each bend could have its own bend radius.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 10
CadManagerMoffatNZ
in reply to: blair

We have found that the best way to get accurate flat patterns is to use bend tables.

And the best way to generate bend tables is to reverse engineer the k-factor from test bends.

There are lots of on-line k-factor calculators. We use Bendworks.

Then once you have this you can calculate your values using the following equation.

K-factor.JPG

Straight up K-factor will get you close (ish)

Rule of thumb for inner radius = die opening / 6 (for air bending)

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or LIKES button below.

Daren

Dell Precision 7720 + P3418HW
Windows 10
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Inventor 2021.0.1, Vault Professional 2021, Showcase 2017
Message 9 of 10
blair
in reply to: CadManagerMoffatNZ

I've attached an Excel spread sheet that should help with k-factor

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 10
doug.johnston

Are you allowed to share the step file on the forum (client approvals, etc.) ??

If so, we could try to give you a better solution and maybe an example.

One thing that I found where I work,  I have to constantly change the K-Factor value to "match" the existing/as-built flat pattern dimensions, regardless of the material thickness.

---------------------------------------------------
It's not easy maintaining this level of insanity !!!!!
Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report