Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running/using Inventor from USB Stick ?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
larry-leisure
591 Views, 17 Replies

Running/using Inventor from USB Stick ?

Hello.

Is it possible to use/run Inventor from a USB Stick ?  Info: it works with FreeCAD

If yes, which versions do allow it?

I need Inventor for simple 3D part design. So the version is not soo important.

Br 

Larry

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Nope. Inventor needs registry keys and program files/data installed in your PC. This isn't a cloud design tool or mobile device app. You should look into Virtual Environments to host Inventor if your intent is to use the software professionally. Otherwise, use Fusion as a cloud design tool.
Message 3 of 18

Ok. Thanks. Then I will stay with FreeCad for this project

Message 4 of 18
mojtaba77f
in reply to: larry-leisure

Sure thing! You can run Autodesk Inventor from a USB stick, but there are some things to keep in mind. Inventor is a bit more finicky compared to FreeCAD when it comes to this. It might work, but performance could be slower, licensing might be trickier, and compatibility might throw some curveballs. It might work differently on various computers, and you might run into speed and compatibility issues. Just keep in mind that it's not something Autodesk officially supports. If you're okay with these trade-offs and just need basic functionality, it's doable. But if you're looking for the full experience, staying with FreeCAD or using Inventor on a regular setup might be a better call.

Message 5 of 18
larry-leisure
in reply to: mojtaba77f

Ok. Good to know.

Other question: what is the approx. price for older inventor versions on the market? Dont want to spend too much, just need it for drawing of small single parts.

Br

Message 6 of 18
mojtaba77f

Autodesk typically doesn't sell prior versions of their software directly. Once a new version is released, the older versions are usually no longer available for purchase from Autodesk. Even if you only need to draw small single parts, it is worth considering purchasing a newer version of Inventor, as newer versions will have more features and functionality than older versions.
Message 7 of 18
swalton

Looking at the Autodesk web store:

Inventor is available at $300/month and Fusion 360 starts at $70/month.  Autodesk offers longer contracts with lower monthly costs too.

I'd look at Fusion 360 based on cost.  In fact Fusion 360 has personal use and startup license options that Inventor does not.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 18

Or flex tokens can be purchased and used for Inventor. Search for Autodesk Flex.

D.Warta
Van Halteren Technologies Boxtel B.V., Netherlands
Message 9 of 18

Ok. Thanks. Even too expensive for 2-3 mechanical parts per year. E.g. bended perforated sheet etc

Does someone knows guys who sell old (approx. 5 years) secondhand software orginally sealed ? Incl licence

Message 10 of 18
swalton

You might have better luck hiring a freelance CAD designer for such low volume work.

Do you need native Inventor models, or can you use any of the open source/low cost programs?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 11 of 18
JDMather

@larry-leisure 

Personal license of >Autodesk Fusion 360 is free<<.

Warning - do not get suckered into purchasing older version of Inventor from the web (likely no license or illegal crack).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 12 of 18

I like drawing myself.

So freelancer not an option.

I have freecad but would prefer Inventor as I used it some years ago.

What about old, sealed cds with key? Illegal?

Message 13 of 18

@larry-leisure wrote:

What about old, sealed cds with key? Illegal?

They don't exist for maybe over 10 years?

Message 14 of 18
CGBenner

@larry-leisure 

Autodesk products should only be purchased either directly from Autodesk or through a registered reseller.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 15 of 18

I thought that there might be unused software available. I know it from Windows and office CD's. Sometimes you find them on ebay. Original, sealed plus key. 

Message 16 of 18
Ray_Feiler

Your best option is to try Fusion 360.

Ray_Feiler_0-1692128526322.png

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 17 of 18
JDMather

@larry-leisure wrote:

I.... Sometimes you find them on ebay. Original, sealed plus key. 

Final warning - do not be tempted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 18 of 18

Saw a few in eBay:

Autodesk AutoCAD Inventor Professional Suite 2011 Portuguese (DVD Only) No Codes

Good luck getting it register.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report