Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems dimensioning a fillet radius in a drawing

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
JostSamEllis
4596 Views, 14 Replies

Problems dimensioning a fillet radius in a drawing

Hi,

I am trying to annotate a the corner radius of a simple plate but IV 2020 is only giving me a linear dimension.  If I select "aligned" as the dimension type, it will at least show the dimension of the radius but this looks stupid.  I want to dimension the corner as a radius and have done this before in IV 2019.  See attached images and part file.

The sketch is fully constrained.  All service packs and updates are installed.

The problem exists regardless of whether I create the part as a standard part or sheetmetal part, or if I fillet the 2D sketch or the 3D extrusion.

What am I missing?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
johnsonshiue
in reply to: JostSamEllis

Hi! There isn't any behavioral change here. Did you select the fillet edge mid point (green dot)? To create the radius dimension, simply select the arc. You should see a bigger virtual arc showing up.

FilletRadius.png

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 15
JostSamEllis
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi @johnsonshiue ,

Yes, I'm picking the midpoint of the arc.

There must be some setting that has changed when I transitioned from 2019 to 2020.  Previously, I would click the "dimension" tool, then the arc and IV would give me the R-dimension by default.  Now it is not even giving me the option to select anything other than a linear dimension.  See attached screenshot sequence.

Your screenshot shows the R-dimension on the part I shared, so I am guessing I must have changed a default setting somewhere or a library has changed - but that's not the sort of thing that I normally do (at least not conscientiously).

Any advice on where I might look to set the dimension setting such that I can draw in the R-dimension?

I have attached a screenshot of the Styles Manager settings I'm currently using.

Cheers

sam

Message 4 of 15
JDMather

@JostSamEllis wrote:

Hi @johnsonshiue ,

Yes, I'm picking the midpoint of the arc.

Don't.
1. Don't pick the midpoint (I right click turn this option off). Pick the arc away from the midpoint.

2. Don’t pick the center point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am not aware of a behavioral change here or a setting alters the behavior. Like JD said, you don't need to select the midpoint on the round. It does not give you radius dimension.

An option may be remotely related. Try this. Go to Tools -> App Options -> Drawing -> uncheck or check "Enable ordinate dimension geometry selection."

Does it matter?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 15
JostSamEllis
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you @JDMather 

Was the midpoint snap a default setting in IV2019?  I can't recall doing anything different when dimensioning drawings in the past.  Glad the fix is a simple one.  I've disable the midpoint snap option.

Cheers.

Message 7 of 15
JostSamEllis
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Go to Tools -> App Options -> Drawing -> uncheck or check "Enable ordinate dimension geometry selection."

Does it matter?

I tried checking/unchecking the option but it made no difference.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Message 8 of 15
mpape
in reply to: JDMather

Please help!

I am having this same problem (radius dimension coming out like a linear dimension).  I've tried the fixes suggested in this thread, and nothing has worked.  I've also noticed it seems to work differently on an edge radius than on an inner radius, and that the little image that pops up with the cursor when picking the curve is different.  Please see the attached photos showing how each comes out (I took these on my phone because this "popup image" does not show up in a screen shot).

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Message 9 of 15
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mpape

Hi! Is the model orthogonal to the view direction? Right-click on the view -> General Dimension Type -> Is it Projected or True? Please share the files here.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 15

I have the same problem. However I try I cannot get the arc, there is one specyfic arc though as it is created by filet on a sloped edge.

Message 11 of 15

Hi Marcin,

Probably the model edge is actually a spline. When it is projected to the view plane, it may not be an arc. Please share the example here. I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 15

That seems right on the closer  look the icon shows centre but with oval not circle.

Thanks

Message 13 of 15
melderNMVKB

My problem occurs when I try to put a radius on the drawing, it puts the arrow at the center.  See picture 1.

I can get it to attach to the curve, but only if I'm placing the dimension in awkward positions.  See pictures 2 and 3.

Anywhere in between those extremes the arrow shoots to the center.

Message 14 of 15
johnsonshiue
in reply to: melderNMVKB

Hi! Is it possible the radius dimension points at an extension of the arc? Please share the files. I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 15
SBix26
in reply to: melderNMVKB

Your images don't look like Inventor-- are you using Fusion 360?  If so, that forum would be the best place to post this.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2023.2 | Windows 10 Home 21H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report