Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occurrence Properties and the BOM

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
estringer
270 Views, 6 Replies

Occurrence Properties and the BOM

I have placed assemblies within a larger assembly and would like to make the parts within the sub-assemblies show as Reference in the BOM. I have tried to adjust this through Occurrence Properties but the BOM button does not have any options for change, the option only exists when I go to Occurrence Properties in the sub-assemblies. Am I doing something wrong or does this option not exist? I have read items on the forums that lead me to believe it should be possible.

estringer_0-1689803859396.png

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: estringer

Hi! Inventor supports "Instances Properties", not "Occurrence Properties." An IP has to be assigned to an instance at the first level of a given assembly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
estringer
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue ,

Based on the forum post below, I am under the impression that I can change the BOM state of a part within a sub-assembly from Normal to Reference and not have it affect any other occurrence of that part. Is this not the case?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/assembly-parts-set-to-reference-for-1-drawing-only/td-...

Message 4 of 7
swalton

As I understand Inventor...

Given the following structure:

• TopAssembly.iam
    • PartThatShouldBeReference.ipt
    • SubAssembly.iam
      • DifferentPartThatShouldBeReference.ipt

It is possible to set an instance of PartThatShouldBeReference.ipt to Reference while editing TopAssembly.iam.  It is also possible to set an instance of DifferentPartThatShouldBeReference.ipt to Reference while editing SubAssembly.iam. 

It is not possible to set DifferentPartThatShouldBeReference.ipt to Reference while editing TopAssembly.iam.

Basically it is only possible to override a component's BOM setting to reference in the immediate parent assembly.  It is not possible to traverse down several sub-assembly levels and change this setting.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! In Inventor, aside from appearance override, it is rare that an occurrence override is allowed. Let me clarify terminology a bit so that the discussion would be less confusing.

Let's say there is an assembly like this. ASMB1 has two sub instances of Sub1. In the Sub1, there is Part1:1.

ASMB1 -> Sub1:1 -> Part1:1

-> Sub1:2 -> Part1:1

To override occurrence, it means the Part1:1 in Sub1:1 will have a different property than the Part1:1 in Sub1:2. In your case, you would like to override the BOM Structure. This is not supported.

What is supported is instance override. Within Sub1, if there are two instances of Part1, i.e. Part1:1 and Part1:2. Then its BOM Structure property can be overridden to Reference.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7
estringer
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Would Model States be an effective way to do what I am trying to do?

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! I don't think Model States behave differently. Model States is a means to create variations of parameters, geometry, properties per document. It still follows the rule that the properties do not go across levels.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report