Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model States & BOM Structure

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
b.mccarthy
464 Views, 6 Replies

Model States & BOM Structure

Hello.

I searched the forum for an answer to this, but came up empty handed

I have a project wherein there are 15 unique bolted assemblies. 10 of these have 4 copies each (in the entire project). These bolted assemblies are comprised of various welded sub-assemblies. The weldments are used in some of the bolted assemblies, but not others.

On the drawing, I need to show 3 parts lists:

1. The top level bolted assemblies for the entire project
  2. The welded sub-assemblies used in the top level assemblies
  3. The parts used in all levels

I can get either 1 & 3 on the drawing, or 2 & 3, but not 1 & 2, or all 3.

I was playing with model states, since they can access the 2 options in the BOM structure as set through the model browser, but not the 5 options listed in the Bill Of Materials. In order to create a sub-assembly BOM, I have to set the Bill Of Materials BOM Structure to "Phantom". However, I lose the parts list for the top level assembly. My first approach was to modify the spreadsheet so that the BOM structure read "Phantom" but Inventor was unhappy with me and threw an error.

Is this even possible? Maybe through iLogic?

TIA

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: b.mccarthy

Hi! I don't believe Model States can help achieve all three PartsLists. It is because BOM Structure (except instance structure: Default vs Reference) is document based, not Model State based.

You will need to save the top-level assembly as two other assembly files. Then manipulate the BOM structure in each iam file.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
b.mccarthy
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello Johnson. Thank you for the response.

I have already tried the approach you recommend, but I could not get it to work. No matter how many copies I make, I still must set the BOM of each bolted assembly to Phantom. When this happens, the parts list that references the top level assembly will change to show the sub-assemblies, so I lose the top level part list. Can you outline your steps, please?

I'm not sure if I am explaining it cogently. I can send you the files to review, if you wish. I cannot share with the general public. NDA and all that...

Thank you.

Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: b.mccarthy

Hi! I am sorry I missed the bolted subassemblies. Yes, in your case three top-level assemblies will not help. It is because changing the BOM structure to Phantom happens at the sub-level iam files, not the top-level files.

In your case, you will need to use Copy Design workflow (iLogic Design Copy or Design Assistant or Vault Copy Design) to spawn three datasets. Then change the BOM structure accordingly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
b.mccarthy
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you, Johnson.

I attempted your solution, and was able to get the 3 lists to display correctly. This approach creates its own issues, though, in that there are twice the number of distinct assemblies which must be managed. Also, the new assemblies are copies and are not linked to the originals. I was hoping to maintain associativity throughout the project.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 7

would be good if each model state can be treated as its own file in regards to bom structure. Model states is basically a way to not have to create sub assemblies (less files), so would be nice if different bom structures could be implemented in this way.

Message 7 of 7

How can we get this as a suggestion for future updates? My organization could really use this functionality. Changing BOM structure in the iproperties independently from other Model states would be great.

There are some views we like to change to phantom or reference. It would be nice to not have to use itables for this simple change.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report