Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INVENTOR 2018 BEND RADIUS (TUBE AND PIPING)

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1158 Views, 7 Replies

INVENTOR 2018 BEND RADIUS (TUBE AND PIPING)

To whom may read this,

I recently upgraded from Inventor 2017 to 2018 and I found a error in the Tube and Piping environment. Whenever I go to check the "Bend radius" of my hose and I fail the bend radius limit, it gives me the proper error and shows what nodes are in violation. However, if I go to move the node to correct the bend radius, when I right click the hose, the bend radius tab isn't available. I must insert a additional node for the bend radius tab to appear again. This is very time consuming because if I have a complicated hose layout with a small bend radius hose, I need to be able to move nodes quickly and check to see if it's within the bend radius without adding any additional nodes. Please let me know what you can do about this.

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
kelly.young
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Do you happen to have a simple model that displays this behavior?

I was going to try to reproduce it but if you have something to share that would specify the parameters at which it fails that would be easy to investigate.

If not, can you show an example screenshot of what you are experiencing?

This could be a issue that needs to be reported so any further information you could provide would be great. Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

For example,

I have two hose adapters in my system and I'm using a custom hose in my library with a 0.689" bend radius. To avoid obstructions that are currently hidden I have to insert nodes to force the hose in a particular direction. After completing the hose and verifying it doesn't obstruct anything I check the bend radius. To check the bend radius I right click on the Hose and this appears (FIGURE 1). The message is telling me node 1 in Figure 1 has a bend radius of 0.312" and is failing the condition of 0.689" . So I have to re arrange node 1 to match the bend radius. So I slightly move node 1 to observe the effect it caused on the bend radius. However this is where the issue exists, when I go to check the bend radius after slightly changing node 1 the bend radius command disappears (FIGURE 2). From trial and error, the only way to get the command to reappear is by adding another node to get the bend radius command again (FIGURE 3). As mentioned in the previous thread, this delays my work process a lot because I define pre set nodes and to be consistently adding another node to check to see if my hose matches the bend radius. Inventor 2017 didn't have this issue. I'm certain this is a glitch in Inventor 2018 since it works completely fine in Inventor 2017. Please let me know what the actions can be made to fix this issue. I will not use Inventor 2018 until this issue gets fixed because it delays my work time.

Thank you,

Anthony

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

@kelly.young Hi thank you for the response,

I have developed a simple model to help determine the solution.

For example,

In Figure 1, it shows two hose adapters placed with a hose route created with 6 nodes. The nodes are placed to move the hose to avoid any obstructions in the system. (For this simple example no obstructions are present so 6 nodes were placed to demonstrate the issue). After the nodes were placed I check to see if the hose matches the bend radius of the custom designed hose in my library. As Figure 1 illustrated the Node 1 fails to meet the bend radius. So I slightly adjust node 1 to see the effects it has on the bend radius. When I go to check for the bend radius, the command isn't available anymore, as Figure 2 shows. Through trial and error, I have determined the only way for the bend radius command to reappear is by adding another node to the hose. So figure 3 shows I added a new node and the bend radius command appears again. By the bend radius command disappearing it delays more work time. After inserting a fixed number of nodes I should be able to move those nodes and be able to check the bend radius consistently without having to add additional nodes. Inventor 2017 didn't have this issue and I can't fully switch to Inventor 2018 yet because it delays my work time. If you have any questions please let me know, but I need to determine a solution so I can fully switch to Inventor 2018.

Thank you,

Anthony

Message 5 of 8
kelly.young

Thanks for the screenshots @Anonymous it does look odd that you just add a point and it works.

Did a bit of searching, does this article help out at all?

Bend radius checking

I could not replicate this issue as you have it shown. Can you attach this setup so that I can reproduce it here and see if the Development Team can dig a bit deeper into the issue?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Sorry for the delayed response. Attached is a zip file containing all the parts needed to run the test. Additionally, there's a short clip in the zip file called "Test_4_2018.wmv" to illustrate the step by step issue occurring. As the video shows what I was previously stating in the other responses, when inserting 2 nodes to a hose layout, you can only check the bend radius once. After the one attempt the only way to check for the bend radius is by adding an additional node to the hose layout. The video clearly display's the issue. You can test the system yourself under the assembly file "Test_4_2018.iam"

Again, this issue is delaying the companies switch from 2017 to 2018. Please let's figure out an issue.

Thank you,

Anthony

Message 7 of 8
kelly.young

Thank you for posting the files @Anonymous there is a similar post regarding the bend radius.

I sent it over to the product team to have a look, with the screencast and assembly hopefully they can figure out what is going on.

Message 8 of 8
Yijiang.Cai

@Anonymous, this issue has been fixed in R2018.3 internal build. Please have a try when the 2018.3 is available for you.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report