Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ifeatures file not in search path of the active project file

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ron_m
201 Views, 5 Replies

ifeatures file not in search path of the active project file

Inventor 2020, Vault 2020

Project file is type Vault

Workspace is on the C: drive

After moving the location the "Design Data" from one network share to another.

Adding new sheet metal  Punch Tool requires browsing to the new network location generating the following  message, "The location of the selected file is not in the search path of the active project file" (see attached). 

Tried the following

Edited the project file to point to the new path (Using UNC paths, see attached).

Added a library path to I-Features folder.

Editing the search path in Inventor solves the problem for new punches but I want to fix it in the project file.

I also want to schedule updates to the punch path for existing part files using VBA (see attached). Re-opening the file fails to update and shows same error message regardless of search path.

iFeatureTemplateDescriptor.DelayReplaceAll (pathToPunchDefinition)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Frederick_Law
in reply to: ron_m

iFeature-01.jpg

Message 3 of 6
ron_m
in reply to: Frederick_Law

Thank you for your reply. But setting those paths only fixes new punch inserts and requires editing all installations. Updating existing inserts are NOT fixed. I need a solution in the project files.

Message 4 of 6
Frederick_Law

That's how the program is setup and how iFeature look for files.

You can try changing path anywhere else but it won't work.  As you have tried.

When your car ran out of gas, filling up windshield washer won't get it going.

Message 5 of 6
ron_m
in reply to: Frederick_Law

There is a method to update the path using the API as demonstrated in the VBA code I attached. See link DelayReplaceAll to Autodesk documentation.

Anyway, I would like those ifeatures paths handled in the project file; even if the update method turns out to not work. Otherwise all existing users and all new users will need to edit Inventor settings or merge a configuration file for company wide settings.

Message 6 of 6
ron_m

I found a post from 02-15-2019 referencing the DelayReplaceAll method and the fact it only sets a flag. Apparently the method has not been updated. Autodesk needs to fix the method or update the documentation to say it only sets a flag.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report