Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to sketch on top of a 3D model imported from AutoCAD to inventor

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
NJ837
500 Views, 8 Replies

I would like to sketch on top of a 3D model imported from AutoCAD to inventor

Dear helpful reader,

Firstly please forgive my ignorance. I am experienced in 3D AutoCAD and am trying to learn inventor.

I have imported a 3D model created by a client in AutoCAD into inventor (Which is just blocks). In my current work flow i use this model as a container for my 3D construction model to fit inside. When creating a new sketch, can i snap my new inventor geometry to the freshly imported 3D model?

Or do i need a new way of working? I understand inventor is very different to Autocad (which is why i want to use it!) but i'm still finding my feet.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Nath

(I'm using Inventor 2021 on windows 10)

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: NJ837

Can you Attach an example file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! It largely depends on what 3D geometry really is. Are they sketches or surfaces or solid bodies? You can create a sketch on any planar face. Or, you can create Workplane to facilitate the process. Or, you can create UCS.

Like JD said, it is better to share an example here. Forum experts can help take a look and propose the best workflow.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 9
NJ837
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Dear @JDMather  & @johnsonshiue 

Thank you so much for your responses. Curiously, I created a part in AutoCAD that is indicative of something i would get normally and imported it into inventor. I did this so I could share something with you that is completely separate from my client. And it worked! I found i could create the sketches on planes and draw as i required.

So it suggests to me that the problem I was having was related to the 3D import or the source model.  Out of respect to my client I don't feel i can share their work with you. So lets call that one solved for now! 

As you can see in the part file i'm looking at creating a crude staircase that is no bigger than the imported AutoCAD 3D model. I was originally looking at sketching each tread etc but im wondering if frame generator is a better approach? 

If you have any pointers or comments i would be grateful.

Nath

Message 5 of 9
JDMather

Open the client file in AutoCAD.

Run the List or Properties command on the geometry.

What does the command line List as the geometry types?

Do the same test on your trial geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! I bet the 3D imported body geometry might be problematic. Press "Ctrl+F7" and see it reports any bad geometry. You can use Repair Environment to repair the geometry (google "how to repair bodies in Autodesk Inventor"). Or, you can export the Inventor file as IGES (solid output) and import it back (set spline-fit tolerance to 0.0001mm).

For proprietary data, you can share with me privately (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I am more than happy to sign NDA if need be (you can sign up Inventor Feedback Community, https://autode.sk/InventorBeta and we will be bounded by mutual NDA).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 9
NJ837
in reply to: JDMather

Good Morning,

Opening the client geometry in auto cad showed that the 3D model was a block. Where as the sample i made for the forum was a 3D solid. 

Nath

Message 8 of 9
NJ837

Having re imported the non blocked version and i can now sketch and snap as i was hoping for. 

Thank you for helping me sort this! A lesson learnt.

Nath

Message 9 of 9
NJ837
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you for your advice!

We have managed to solve this one but the other steps you've mentioned are really interesting and i'm sure will help me when i'm further along on my journey. 

The NDA option is great to know about and something i may need in the future. 

Thank you for taking the time to help me. Its really appreciated. 

Nath

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report