Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need HELP!!! A relief cut that produced an incline plane on a circle.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
862 Views, 10 Replies

I need HELP!!! A relief cut that produced an incline plane on a circle.

I'm not even 100% sure that is what I should call this.

I am working on a "tooling key" and it is a part that goes on the end of a tool to lock and unlock different parts. But the basic look of it is a circle, with another circle welded to the top, but that circle is not whole. About a quarter of it is cut out at an angle, I am going to attach a picture. But I have everything drawn except for that angle. I can not figure out how to get an angle cut out of the circle like that.

If ANYONE can help me I would really appreciate it!!!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
rdyson
in reply to: Anonymous

Shouldn't be difficult. Attach what you've done so far and your Inventor Version.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Attached is what I have gotten done. You should be able to see which part is the one with the incline.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

And I have Inventor 10

Message 5 of 11
SBix26

It's unlikely that anyone will be able to provide a file that you can use; Inventor 10 is six years out of date and no longer supported by Autodesk.  So the best anyone can do for you (unless they happen to have IV10) is to provide pictures/video showing how they accomplish the task.  Just don't want you to get your expectations too high...

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Really? wow...

I did not know that.

I just started using Inventor like a month ago...So everything is new to me.

I have used Soildworks before...and they are similar, which is the only reason I know how to do anything with Inventor.

But thanks for the info, I will pass this along to my boss....maybe it is time for an upgrade!!

But if you/anyone comes across anything that could help me, I would be VERY grateful!!!!

Message 7 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

So everything is new to me.

I have used Soildworks before

Whether using Inventor or SolidWorks - I would fully constrain the first sketch (which you did not do).
There might have been an extra step in v10 (Project Geometry the origin Center Point).

See this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 11
rdyson

Don't remember what 10 would or wouldn't do, but I think these steps should work.

First, I would suggest that you always model symmetrically around the origins and fully constrain your sketches. That is not irrelevant to your problem, just good practice. JD will probably be along with a reference to his tutorials, well worth checking. If he doesn't happen by, check his other posted responses.

I can't say this is exactly what you're trying to do, but might get you started.

Create a sketch with a line representing the rise angle or curve you want to cut. I've projected the point of your existing cut to start the line. Exit that sketch.

1.jpg

Create a 3-D sketch and Project to Surface the sketched curve to the outer surface.

2.jpg

Create another 2-D sketch and project the edge you your cut.

3.jpg

Sweep a Surface using this projected line as the profile and the 3-D curve as the path. I had to Extend the surface so it completely cut the solid.

4.jpg

Then us Split with the surface as the cutting too and the Trim Solid option.

5.jpg

6.jpg

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: rdyson

I believe that is what I should do...

I just need that angle to go all the way up to the end....like a "flat point" at the top. (If you look at the actual picture of the key then what Im trying to say will make more since"..... But I guess I would do it the same way just make my lines different?

I am going to try it now.

Thank you sooo much!!!

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: rdyson

I can not Create a 3-D sketch and Project to Surface the sketched curve to the outer surface....

I have no clue how to do this, and nothing on my screen is giving me any help, I have looked under everything I could. If I could get my line projected onto the outter surface then I could cut the rest away to get my angle.

Message 11 of 11
rdyson

As I said, I don't remember v10 that well.

But check help / 3-D sketch.

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report