Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to utilize dwg file from CorelDraw Export in Inventor

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Shag_Bore
456 Views, 18 Replies

How to utilize dwg file from CorelDraw Export in Inventor

To keep a long story short, we don't have this product modelled in Inventor.

MicrosoftTeams-image (5).png

it is a sign box. the white face is a routed .125 aluminum panel with formed acrylic push thru's.

The formed acrylic is made on our machine from hand made molds. The routed panel was made with CorelDraw then pushed thru to our CNC router table. 

The only digital file I have is an exported dwg file from CorelDraw.

I would like to create 2 parts from this dwg, the routed panel, and then words. I already modelled up the round logo. When trying to insert the dwg file into a sketch, inventor freezes when selecting constrain end points, importing without constrained end points and geometric constraints the dwg has open loops and can't be extruded.

I have also tried to create new ipt->Manage->Insert->Import and then projecting the dwg to a new sketch but that leaves me with this result. The projected lines are "wavy" and don't follow the lines from the dwg. 

dwg_import.PNG

I have also noticed that when trying to offset the letters smaller so that I can extrude them as push thru's the offset feature won't work, it says can't make offset. I am assuming it is because of the dwg's geometry.

I am assuming that I will be stuck re-drawing to create my parts because there is no-way to utilize the dwg file?

Thanks!

Sean Farr
Product Designer at Teksign Inc.
Inventor 2016 SP1
Dell Precision 3660
i7-12700 @ 2.40GHz-4.90GHz
32GB DDR5 4400MHz RAM
NIVDIA RTX A2000 6GB
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Frederick_Law
in reply to: Shag_Bore

Check Corel export setting.  Looks like it's not even exporting straight lines.

Unless you're importing with wrong setting.

How does the DWG looks in ACAD?

Message 3 of 19
Shag_Bore
in reply to: Frederick_Law

it looks fine, i'm going to go our to shop floor and try exporting again, see if there is some options missing.

dwg_import_2.PNG

Sean Farr
Inventor 2016 SP1
Dell Precision 3660
32GB DDR5 4400MHz RAM
NIVDIA RTX A2000 6GB
Message 4 of 19
Frederick_Law

Looks like it's IV import settings since the DWG looks good.

Message 5 of 19
CCarreiras

Hi!

If the geometry is fine in Autocad:

• Open the file in Autocad.
  • Select the geometry.
  • Ctrl+c to copy the geometry
  • Open a sketch in Inventor
  • Ctrl+V to paste the geometry in Inventor
CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 19
Shag_Bore
in reply to: CCarreiras

hmm...I swear I tried that and it didn't register but for some reason it copied and pasted

here's what it looks like now: 

dwg_import_3.PNG

Sean Farr
Inventor 2016 SP1
Dell Precision 3660
32GB DDR5 4400MHz RAM
NIVDIA RTX A2000 6GB
Message 7 of 19
CCarreiras

Well.... seems much better now...
Can you do the extrude?

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 8 of 19
Shag_Bore

unfortunately no...I selected the "P" and ran sketch doctor and followed the steps and ended up with the error  - Failed to add coincident constraint. Points lie on the same curve.  Can't seems to project the geometry to a new sketch either, I am project as many endpoints to manually create the letters with lines and arcs right now.

dwg_import_4.PNGdwg_import_5.PNGdwg_import_6.PNGdwg_import_7.PNGdwg_import_8.PNG

Sean Farr
Inventor 2016 SP1
Dell Precision 3660
32GB DDR5 4400MHz RAM
NIVDIA RTX A2000 6GB
Message 9 of 19
Frederick_Law

Those are splines.

Don't run sketch doctor, just extrude it.

Message 10 of 19
CCarreiras

Well... if it´s only a couple of point, just do it manually... it's almost there.

if you share the Autocad file a can help you.

Tip: when the geometry is corrected, select all the geometry and turn into a block... all the geometry will be frozen, and you don't have the chance to move one of those dozens of points by mistake.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 11 of 19
Frederick_Law

Probably better to sketch new one with line and arcs.

You might have problem with router later.

"Tool path offset"

Message 12 of 19
Shag_Bore

there is nothing selectable to extrude. 

Sean Farr
Inventor 2016 SP1
Dell Precision 3660
32GB DDR5 4400MHz RAM
NIVDIA RTX A2000 6GB
Message 13 of 19
Shag_Bore

I am not sure if sharing these files is ok, I think I am good to go, I was partially right in terms or manually re-drawing the features, the file is somewhat usable. but there is no direct way of using the dwg to extrude.

Thanks!

Sean Farr
Inventor 2016 SP1
Dell Precision 3660
32GB DDR5 4400MHz RAM
NIVDIA RTX A2000 6GB
Message 14 of 19
Frederick_Law

@Shag_Bore wrote:

I am not sure if sharing these files is ok

LOL

So if I sketch one usable, I can't share it with you?

If so, you've shared too much already.

An NDR means you can't even share any photo.

The sign/logo is publicly viewable.  Anyone worth their pay on CAD can download the official logo and sketch it.

Message 15 of 19
CCarreiras

@Shag_Bore wrote:

I am not sure if sharing these files is ok, I think I am good to go, I was partially right in terms or manually re-drawing the features, the file is somewhat usable. but there is no direct way of using the dwg to extrude.

Thanks!

Of course you can use the dwg. I meant to fix the drawing manually, not redesign it all manually.

You don't have to share all the files, share only the inventor file with the sketch and we will fix it.

Is not a secret, you have already shown a lot of images of the sketch, if iwe want to copy it, all we have to do is copy the image to inventor and replicated it.... but... that's ok... if you don't want the help, less work for us 🙂

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 16 of 19
Shag_Bore

@Frederick_Law wrote:

@Shag_Bore wrote:

I am not sure if sharing these files is ok

The sign/logo is publicly viewable.  Anyone worth their pay on CAD can download the official logo and sketch it.

I know, that's why I said I am not sure, I think there is a slight difference in someone taking the time to try and duplicate a logo vs downloading an actual copy of it off a public forum, we are authorized to duplicate for manufacturing purposes. anyways... 

thanks @Frederick_Law and @CCarreiras 

I managed to get to where I want a little faster, I have used the pasted drawing, projected all the points, re-created the lines and splines and now have my profile for cutting into the sheet metal panel. Also, I was able to create the offset of the feature so that I can create my push thru letter extrusions.

Cheers!

dwg_import_9.PNG

Sean Farr
Inventor 2016 SP1
Dell Precision 3660
32GB DDR5 4400MHz RAM
NIVDIA RTX A2000 6GB
Message 17 of 19
CCarreiras

So... it's solved... you can close the case.

Good luck!

Tip: pink geometry..... is not a good signal...

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 18 of 19
Shag_Bore

@CCarreiras wrote:

Tip: pink geometry..... is not a good signal...

What about yellow and dark green? haha, correct me if I am wrong but pink lines usually indicate reference to a feature that no longer exists? Well in that case I simply did an offset feature of the "P" perimeter, from what I found, pink can also mean issues with the constraints, in this case the constraints not working nicely with the offset feature. 

I projected the "P" off my initial sketch and did another offset and it created the Dark Green lines, I am assuming this means the same issue.

dwg_import_10.PNG

Sean Farr
Inventor 2016 SP1
Dell Precision 3660
32GB DDR5 4400MHz RAM
NIVDIA RTX A2000 6GB
Message 19 of 19
johnsonshiue

Hi! For this kind of sketch profile related issues, the quickest workaround if nothing else works is to create Boundary Patch surface for each character. BP has a relatively tolerant way of defining a profile for the apparent reason. It comes handy to help cases like this. After the surfaces are created, either Thicken it or project the BP edges to extrude it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report