Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to flip shell surface normal direction in Inventor?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jack_melling9Y6KW
177 Views, 8 Replies

How to flip shell surface normal direction in Inventor?

I am modelling a vessel in shell elements in Inventor for the purpose of doing an FEA on it using Nastran. When applying a hydrostatic load or internal pressure load, the shell wall and hemispherical heads have different shell/face normal directions. This causes the positive pressure direction to be in different directions. Other than applying as two seperate load cases, is there a way to flip the surface normal direction in Inventor? Something that i know is very easy to do in other software I have used. 

Inventor 2024. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi

Construction environment or body repair environment.

Kacper Suchomski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Message 3 of 9

OK,  I have worked out how to activate the construction environment in the applications options and have been able to reverse Reverse Normal of the face using Construction editor. 

However, when I update the Nastran model, the normal properties are not brought in to the load properties. My understanding is that if i change the positive normal direction of a face in the part, the direction of the load should change in Nastran assembly model.  

Is there a better way to do this? 

Message 4 of 9

Why don't you just change the sign of the load value (+/-)?

Kacper Suchomski
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9

I could, but i have a number of faces assigned one pressure. I would have to assign some of them with +ve pressure and some of then with -ve pressure just to get the pressure to be in the same direction. 

This then makes it diffiicult when i have a number of subcases where i have varying load combinations. 

In other software i have used, a simple right click and "flip normal" solves this issue - similar to flipping the normal of workplanes in Inventor. 

Message 6 of 9

Attach your files.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Message 7 of 9

This is a basic test assembly I made to replicate the issue - If you change the normal direction of the spherical head, it does not change the direction of the load in the Nastran model. I believe these should be related. 

For this specific test model the default normal directions were in the same direction so one pressure load works fine. For my vessel model (which i cant distribute) the Head and the Shell have opposite default normal directions. This therefore causes the issues im having. 

Interested to see what you think.

I may just need to ensure normal directions are in the same direction before bringing the models into Nastran - but this isnt very practical - I havent tried to see if this fixes the issue yet. 

Message 8 of 9

Hmmm 🤔

It works for me.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Message 9 of 9

Ok great, this gives me confidence that its possible. I will keep playing with my model to get it to work. Might be doing something wrong. 

Thanks for your help. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report