Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I copy an extrusion?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Suurmeijer1999
9128 Views, 9 Replies

How do I copy an extrusion?

In school I sort of got the hang of inventor so I thought let's make a drawing for a hobby project. So im drawing this bridge thing and i want to add beam to the side to support it. I thought I just sketch one and extrude it and than copy and place the same thing a few times and than mirror it and repeat on the other side. But somehow I just can't get it to allign it the way it should... Can somebody help me psl.

greetz

Tim

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Suurmeijer1999

It sounds like a Pattern feature or Pattern Component to me.

Can you attach your file(s) here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
blair

Post (include IPT and IAM files) for what you have do so far, also include what version of Inventor you are on.

You might consider using a IAM Assembly file and using Frame Generator for your members.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 10

To Copy an Extrusion, select it in the feature browser with a left click, then right click and choose 'copy'.

Now select on a face of your existing model with a left click, then right click and choose 'paste'.

There is probably a better way to build your component though. Show us where you got to so fa and we can give you further advice.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 5 of 10
K_Baker_89

Hi Suurrmeijer1999,

It sounds to me as though it would be worth experimenting with "Rectangular Pattern", "Circular Pattern" or "Mirror" features.

Cheers,

Kurt

Message 6 of 10
Suurmeijer1999
in reply to: K_Baker_89

Here is what i got so far. I'm using inventor professional 2018 btw. I also included a screenshot of what i want to coppy. I want to copy and paste that little beam in the circle a couple of times to place it to the left and right of the existing one.

greetz

Tim

Message 7 of 10
blair

Thanks, I used the Pattern Feature common to pattern using the "Mirror" option. I would be using the IAM Assembly method or Solid Body modeling to allow for the Webm Flanges and diagonal bracing to be separate IPT part items.

Capture2.JPG

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 10

Hello @Suurmeijer1999 I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

The issue you are having is that you are working in the part (.ipt) environment where copying and pasting isn't the desired workflow. Mirror or pattern the feature is what you're looking to do.

If you want to copy and paste parts, you want to work in the assembly (.iam) environment. But then you have to constrain each new part together.

I would suggest going through the built in tutorials to get better familiar with how this works.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 9 of 10

Hi! Another technique you could consider is to make the Extrusion6 as a separate solid body. The nice thing about it is that you can mirror or pattern the body as disjoint lumps or separate bodies. Then you can use Direct Edit to relocate them however you like. Once you are happy with the positioning, you can join them back as one solid body using Combine command. This will eliminate the need to copy the sketch or the feature. They will all be driven by the same sketch.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 10
Suurmeijer1999
in reply to: blair

Thnx for the help guys. I'll think I can make progress with this. If not you'll hear from me again.

greetz,

Tim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report