Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freezing a view

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
c_caronBJVAW
203 Views, 9 Replies

freezing a view

I have been trying to freeze a view in a drawing, so that modifiying the ipt wont affect the view. However, in the same drawing there is a table driven by that same table that does need to be updated with any changes to the ipt. Is there any other way then to make a copy of the ipt solely to dive the "frozen views", or to insert a picture?

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: c_caronBJVAW

Hi! There isn't a way to do that for a particular view. But, you can suspend the update for the entire idw/dwg. Simply right-click on the idw/dwg node in the browser -> Defer Updates. Or, go to Tools -> Doc Settings -> Drawing -> check "Defer Updates."

Once this option is turned on, the drawing will remain unchanged as of last saved state.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 10
c_caronBJVAW
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Yes I saw that but it would stop the table from updating. Thank you anyways for your time!
Message 4 of 10
sundars

@c_caronBJVAW 

Like @johnsonshiue  said, there is no ability to lock views. However, you can try the following:

1. Suppress the view (it won't display nor will it update).

When you are ready to consume the updates, you can un-suppress it

However if table is generated off the view, then its a problem

2. Move the view to an inactive sheet so that it does not update

3. Create views and table in different drawings

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 5 of 10
c_caronBJVAW
in reply to: sundars

Unfortunately, the table shows the information used for the creation of different model states, so my goal is to be able to have the table showing the different parameters controlling up to 20 different model states, with one view of an average non-specific model to visualize what each dimension represents. Therefore, having the table on a different drawing doesn't really make sense. I ended up making a copy of the ipt, witch will remain untouched, and linking the view to this new part.

Thanks
-Charles
Message 6 of 10
sundars

@c_caronBJVAW I did an ideas forum request - this seems to come closest to what you want. Please vote for it and add to it. It does require a project for us to be able to do it, but its worthwhile entering your ideas there.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/inventor-lock-drawing-view/idi-p/7761683

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 7 of 10
c_caronBJVAW

I have voted, I'm not sure what you mean by add to it, do you want me to comment my problem under his/her proposition? also what do you mean by it does require a project?

Thanks
-Charles
Message 8 of 10
sundars

You can certainly add your own requirements or ideas underneath that post if you want to. I meant that implementing this would take a fair amount of time and requires us to schedule an internal development project! Sorry for confusing! 🙂

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 9 of 10
c_caronBJVAW

Ahh I see I see, ill add future ideas there too, thanks again for your help, it has been greatly appreciated.
Charles
Message 10 of 10
sundars

You are welcome! Yes. Please feel free to add your ideas there. Just so you know that all ideas are reviewed but there is a selection criteria for these ideas based on number of votes, impact and other considerations. 

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report