Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude fails

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
a20195969
379 Views, 3 Replies

Extrude fails

I've drawn a sketch on a plane parallel to the YZ axis. It's fully constrained. When I tried to extrude the sketch, It's apparently works but then generates a different extrude. I've drawn the sketch again and it still doesn't work. How can I fixed it? Thanks.

a20195969_0-1630514537927.pnga20195969_1-1630514584747.pnga20195969_2-1630514630529.png

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: a20195969

Manage>Rebuild All before the Extrude.

I recommend that you do not use Projected Loops (Project Geometry of Faces).

Instead simply project that single edge (will result in a single point on the edge).

No Loops.png

If you examine the multiple projections - you will understand one reason not to use Projected Loops in most cases.

It never would have occurred to me to use a Projected Loop in this case, and in fact, I do not recall this problem ever being posted here before.

@johnsonshiue may want to take a look at the issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
ampster40

one suggestion would be is to not select the entire face of the body when projecting geometry, only select an edge of that face to project.

It appears after the extrusion is completed, it jumps to the end of line that doesn't extend all the way across, ref one of the attached screenshots showing the same thing happens here, but note where the end of that red highlighted projection, that's where your extrusion is jumping to.

The other screenshot I am showing just the two lines I projected to get that rectangle to stay put.

edit, following JD's suggestion, you will see the end result before you extrude.  Instead only project what you need to and not the entire face.

2nd edit, another thing to consider is your fillets should be at the very end of your feature list.  Roll the EOP up to just above the fillet then create new features.  If that was done and if you projected face at that point then it would work.  But like JD also said, it's generally bad practice to project loops as it adds to the complexity Inventor would have to update with every change.

HTH

Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue

Hi! I believe there is a bug here. Projecting entire face is perfectly fine. But, it depends on the direction. In this case, projected face is perpendicular to the sketch. As a result, the face loop collapses. You can highlight the projected loop to see the short segments on both ends. This can become ambiguous and unstable.

The better approach in this case is to constrain the sketch geometry to stable reference like origin planes, axes, and point.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report