Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM unit and qty is not updating inspite of setting it already in doc setting

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
rogieA
1637 Views, 11 Replies

BOM unit and qty is not updating inspite of setting it already in doc setting

Hi, just have a little problem in BOM.. I am trying to standardize my BOM especially the unit and qty.. I already completed most of the parts but there are some members that seems not updating.. 

the setting in "document setting" is already setup to "each"  but when I open the BOM, still showing the length..

I need the qty to become each.. and for some reason, I cant open the parts inside the BOM (right click the open)..

I've been trying to figure out what's wrong for 4 hrs now and I'm giving up..

thanks in advance

Pls help..

Capture (12).JPG

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
jhackney1972
in reply to: rogieA

Take a look at the screencast and see if it helps you out.  I did this in Inventor 2018.

BOM QTY.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! The reason why the QTY of those frame members cannot be changed is because the rows with the same part number are merged. Simply click on "Part Number Row Merge Option" button at the top in the BOM dialog. You will see each row and you can open each part and make change to Unit QTY.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 12
rogieA
in reply to: jhackney1972

thanks a lot. what a great technique to address my problem..

appreciated your support.

Message 5 of 12
rogieA
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi ,

im just wondering why I cant show the "each" as unit qy for this specific ipart member of my assy.. some ipart just worked fine.. pls help.. appreciate your help

Capture.JPG

Message 6 of 12
rogieA

Hi,

I already set the BOM setting at Document setting to "each" but still no updating.. Pls help.. been troubleshooting quite a while now... appreciate your help.. these parts are iparts.

I need the unit to be set to "each " just line the other membersCapture 1.JPGCapture 2.JPG

Message 7 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! This is a bug (or corruption). When you made the change in BOM Base Quantity in the iPart factory, somehow the member was not notified and update did not occur. Here is what you need to do.

1) Open S-001-400-0056.ipt and S-009.iam.

2)  Go to the iPart factory file -> Tools -> Document settings -> BOM -> change default BOM structure from Normal to reference -> Ok.

3) Go to the assembly -> Update.

4) Repeat step2 but change the BOM structure back to Normal.

5) Repeat step3.

Now the Base QTY should be in sync.

Could you try it and see if it works for you? If you know how to reproduce the behavior from scratch, please let us know asap.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 12
rogieA

Hi Johnson,

it worked perfectly... many thanks to you.

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi! This is a bug (or corruption). When you made the change in BOM Base Quantity in the iPart factory, somehow the member was not notified and update did not occur. Here is what you need to do.

2)  Go to the iPart factory file -> Tools -> Document settings -> BOM -> change default BOM structure from Normal to reference -> Ok.

5) Repeat step3.

Could you try it and see if it works for you? If you know how to reproduce the behavior from scratch, please let us know asap.

Many thanks!

Message 9 of 12
Hunteil

Thank you @johnsonshiue . We just had this happen a 2nd time at our company. Inventor 2019. We fixed it the first time but didn't know how or what caused it. Your steps fixed it perfectly. Still not sure what caused it... but it's really hard to detect the qty's being wrong if the user isn't checking for it and just trusting the program. 😕

Summary of problem:

Family Parts List quantities don't update when a component was Excluded or Included in the Family Table.

Conditions:

• Files not in Vault yet. Other time the files was in Vault. So it's not Vault specific.
  • It was a iAssembly with iParts with a Family Table that Excluded and Included components when needed to generate different assemblies on demand.
  • Nothing else special. In fact the last issue occurred with a iAssembly that have max 9 parts. And 6 different assembly options.

Failed solutions:

• Delete parts list and reinsert.
  • Delete children files and regenerate files.
  • Sorting in parts list and turning on and off assemblies.
  • Adding additional components in iAssembly only added those components to the Parts List but didn't registered the original. i.e. reading 10 but should be 50.... copy and paste another part and now it reads 11 and should be 51. 
  • In iAssembly, we opened the Bill of Materials and added columns and changed a few things and they showed up in the Parts List too... But again the original issue remained.
  • (Some others attempts I can't remember from the first time.)

Solution that worked:

• Opened the parent file and did what @johnsonshiue said to do. Except we only changed the .iam file to Reference, then Generated files and changed back to Normal and Generated files.

@johnsonshiue wrote:

5) Repeat step3.

Many thanks!

(I'm listing all this just in case someone else is struggling too. Or we find ourselves struggling and looking for the answer again lol.)

Model States is not a replacement for iParts / iAssemblies. It does not have all the same features yet and does not communicate well with our large currently in use libraries. 😞 https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/model-state-support-tabulated-parts-list/idc-p/11360616

Message 10 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Hunteil

Hi! I believe there is an unresolved bug here. I cannot reproduce the behavior from scratch. But, it does not mean it has been fixed.

I suspect there is a way to reproduce it. Let me ask you a few things and see if we can narrow down the culprit.

1. Do you use any Copy Design workflow (iLogic Design Copy, Design Assistant, or Vault Copy Design)?

2. Do you do Replace Model Reference in the drawing?

3. Do you have an automated process to update PartsList or BOM?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 12
Hunteil

Here are my responses:

"1. Do you use any Copy Design workflow (iLogic Design Copy, Design Assistant, or Vault Copy Design)?"

Answer: We used none of that for our 2 instances of this issue. This could turn into a longer more detailed answer, but in summary with the results I've seen. It doesn't matter how big the assembly is. And we only used "Save as" for as stand in for Vault Copy Design b/c it does the same thing and I haven't seen an issue with that... Reason is b/c it's easier to mockup designs in the C drive then in Vault for early stages of designs that may end up deleted. Once the design meets our minimum design requirement, we'll check it in. This reduces vault dialog questions etc. etc. etc.

"2. Do you do Replace Model Reference in the drawing?"

Answer: We have Table Replace within the table. (Not sure if you meant that)

If you mean Replace Model Reference in the idw. Then in the answer is no still.

"3. Do you have an automated process to update PartsList or BOM?"

Answer: No. Just the standard manual procedures within Inventor. (I don't know of any other way)

i.e. Make a change like copy and pasting another bracket. Generate children, Save, Open idw, Parts List auto updates.

Model States is not a replacement for iParts / iAssemblies. It does not have all the same features yet and does not communicate well with our large currently in use libraries. 😞 https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/model-state-support-tabulated-parts-list/idc-p/11360616

Message 12 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Hunteil

Hi! Many thanks for the reply! Based on your answers, if I have to guess, I would say something went wrong during Table Replace. I personally think the best approach to use Table Replace is to elaborate all iPart/iAssembly members files first before you do Table Replace. Table Replace has the ability to generate member files on the fly. However, when member files are not generated properly due to whatever reason, the table replace may be in a limbo.

I would try generating the member files first.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report