Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM, group and combine total

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
serpennica
305 Views, 13 Replies

BOM, group and combine total

How would this be done.

I am doing a pipe handrail. I have several different parts with different part numbers / file name. 1884652-001 thru 1884652-050.

Each part has a different length. I am using a custom pararameter FX to define length, all parts have same parameter. The pararameter is exported to custom iproperties.

the descriptions are all the same Pipe 1.50 sch 40. 

I can group the description,  but how do I get to total length of all the pipe. 

the bom wold be one row, with two colums.  description and total length.

any ideas, 

thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Open the BOM window, click select columns and indicate the appropriate quantity columns that you want to include in the table. You can choose the total length, unit length and the number of pieces of unit length.

Kacper Suchomski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Message 3 of 14
MH-J
in reply to: serpennica

Create a parts list style and add in the Description iProp. Then in the Parts List Column Chooser you can create a New Property and call it FX.

mikejones_1-1679931101346.png

You then need to format the FX column by clicking it

mikejones_2-1679931206569.png

And then go to substitution, Enable Value Substitution. In the drop list below the enable substitution, browse for the FX property. The change the merge option from First Value to Sum of Values.

mikejones_3-1679931475885.png

You can also change the formating in the same window if needed.

Don't forget to save it to your style library once you're happy with it for future use.

Hope that helps

Mike

Message 4 of 14
serpennica
in reply to: MH-J

serpennica_0-1679940835886.png

mikejones, as you described, that is what I am starting with. Length is my pararameter.

how do I combine items with same description, and add the total length of each item.

combine item 1,2,3,4, and show total length of items 1,2,3,4. this will be a single item on BOM

and continue with combine for the rest of bom like items.

hope this helps, thank you for your time

Message 5 of 14
MH-J

I've attached the drawing for you with a partslist on that groups the Stock number field and sums up the total length of pipe for each pipe size. It will work the same for the description too.

Mike

Message 6 of 14
serpennica

so first you did the group according to stock number. first image.

then you did the substitution and used pull down " when rows are merged..." "add sum" sencond image.

the substitution value is what I was missing. I like the fix, will start doing this, will see how it works.

Thank you

serpennica_0-1679944578279.png

serpennica_1-1679944612689.png

Message 7 of 14
MH-J

Happy to help

Message 8 of 14
serpennica

mikejones, now that i got that going, Can I add a few more colums to that BOM list. 

I would like to add Item and Qty.

I am able to get the qty to work, I am having difficulty with the Item column. Inventor wants to add 1,1,1 or 3,3,3. for the items. the program duplicates the Item column number for each item length, however if the items are same length it omits it as an Item. on screen shot, item 1,1,1,1 is qty 4: that works all differnt lenght, item 2,2 is qty 6: that not work looks like I got two different lengths, that item should have 2,2,2,2,2,2. Items should match qty.

then my next issure is to get ride of the duplicate items. How can I see just one number in the item column. 

thank you for your time.

serpennica_0-1680008747931.png

Message 9 of 14
serpennica

on the previuos post, i did some more grouping and adding the total colums with substitution.

the mass and length Fx are a total for grouping stock numbers. I controled the grouping and adding total colums under the styles then in drawing allowed grouping to have additional sorting there.

Message 10 of 14
serpennica

to make a long story short, how to make items column a single number.

I tried to control this in the assembly bill of material, but no go there.

serpennica_1-1680009332368.png

Message 11 of 14
MH-J

Have a look at the updated drawing. I've created a new parts list style so that you can compare the two together. The problem that I believe you're having is to do with the BOM Item numbers that you've overwritten. I've renumbered the Item numbers in the BOM but added a Custom Item number field that you can number at will and use within the parts list on the drawing. If that doesn't work for you let me know.

mikejones_0-1680014081469.png

Mike

Message 12 of 14
serpennica

will have to look at this later, getting busy right now. thank you
Message 13 of 14
serpennica

mikejones, excellent, now I have a format to work with.

I made a new balloon to capture the new collumn "balloon item".  I can work with this for my platfroms and handrails.

thank you.

serpennica_0-1680030950142.png

Message 14 of 14
cadman777

When I do railings, I use 2 different Parts Lists.

1. Total Parts (for the material prep shop guys)

2. Summary (for the estimators/ordering office guys)

Doing it your way is confusing.

Example:

cadman777_0-1680102296922.png

In case you're wondering what the railings look like, here they are:

cadman777_0-1680133662833.png

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report