Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Angular Constraint Limits - Large Angles and Asymmetric Limits

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
SEC_CAD
1363 Views, 7 Replies

Assembly Angular Constraint Limits - Large Angles and Asymmetric Limits

I was following the demo by @Neil_Cross on YouTube for angular constraint limits but ran into issues when I want to have asymmetric angular limits beyond 180 degrees. I can't share my project but have attached a demo hinge to show what I mean.

Say I want my blue beam to be in-line with my red beam and travel the long arc up to the 210 degree angle.

(A second scenario is where I want the blue beam to be +30 to -120 degrees from aligned with the beam).

1) Inventor won't let me enter a Maximum limit of 210 degrees

SEC_CAD_0-1599179969776.png

2) If I enter a smaller Maximum e.g. 120 degrees (with Min=0) then the constraint is applied symmetrically so that the blue beam can move PLUS and MINUS 120 degrees from zero.

Is this bad implementation or am I just using it wrongly? How would I limit the angular constraint for large angles (above 180 degrees) and for asymmetric limits?

NOTE: Inventor allows vectors to be entered (i.e. negative angles) but always treats them as positive.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
swalton
in reply to: SEC_CAD

I'd use the directed angle option and define a reference axis.  That will help Inventor understand what to do with angles larger than 180 deg and negative values.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Steve is right. Undirected angle is only meaningful between 0 and 180. Any value beyond the range is not valid. I suggest you use Explicit Reference option so you can specify the full range (+-360). But, you need to select a rotational direction, which helps avoid flipping.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 8
SEC_CAD
in reply to: johnsonshiue

It is not possible to use limits with Directed Angle. When Directed Angle is selected the Limits fields become greyed out and unavailable.

Undirected Angle - Limits available

SEC_CAD_0-1599429769065.png

Directed Angle - Limits not available

SEC_CAD_1-1599429833314.png

Message 5 of 8
swalton

Sorry,  I used the wrong name for the angle option.

I meant the Explicit Angle Reference option (right-most button).  That option allows you to define a reference vector that uses the right-hand-rule to define the + and - directions for the angle value.

See: https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-AD4679FD-EE9B-47C0-9E32-04B990BDD29E

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 8
SEC_CAD
in reply to: swalton

This has to be a bug or a very poor implementation.

Even by using the Explicit Reference Vector I could not restrain the movements as required.

Min::Max::Expectation::Result

FAIL - 0::70::The blue beam to be limited from 0 - 70 degrees :: Beam limited to +/- 70 degrees (i.e. 140 degrees travel)

FAIL - 0.5::70:: Limit travel 0.5 - 70 degrees :: Beam limited to +/- 70 degrees (i.e. 140 degrees travel)

FAIL - 1::70:: Limit travel 1 - 70 degrees :: Beam limited to +/- 70 degrees (i.e. 140 degrees travel)

PASS - 5::70:: Limit travel 5 - 70 degrees :: Beam limited to 5 - 70 degrees from parallel

PASS - 5::170:: Limit travel 5 - 170 degrees :: Beam limited to 5 - 170 degrees from parallel

FAIL 5::180:: Limit travel 5 - 180 degrees :: Beam can travel the long arc between 5 degrees and -5 degrees from parallel (i.e. 350 degrees travel)

I cannot see a simple way to achieve the limits that I need to apply.

Message 7 of 8
imajar

See attached.  Is that what you need it to do?

I generally have had a good experience using explicit reference vector, although selecting a good vector (that is orthogonal to the angle) is essential to get it to work right.

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 8 of 8
SEC_CAD
in reply to: imajar

@imajar You're da man! Thank you so much for your solution. It works brilliantly with large angles and asymmetric limits. I just wish that AutoDesk would have made it more intuitive. Thank you for taking the time to post the solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report