Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2019 Linux licensing problems

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
pipelineRK4DW
4609 Views, 13 Replies

Maya 2019 Linux licensing problems

Trying to make Maya 2019 work in Linux CentOS 7.3.

I installed it, dropped the License.env in /usr/autodesk/maya2019/bin/License.env
with the two lines:

MAYA_LICENSE=657K1
MAYA_LICENSE_METHOD=standalone

Then I tried to run:

sudo /usr/autodesk/maya2019/bin/adlmreg -i S 657K1 657K1 "2019.0.0.F" ???-???????? /var/opt/Autodesk/Adlm/Maya2019/MayaConfig.pit

...and I got:

Serial Number exists. Skip registration.

yet when I try to launch /usr/autodesk/maya2019/bin/maya I get:

maya: Autodesk Maya 2019Licensing ErrorA licensing error occurred that Autodesk systems were not able to handle for you. Please contact Autodesk Customer Support for help in resolving this error.checkoutLicense: Failed to authorize license

I'm told by my peers that on Windows this same license seems to work fine after logging in in the Windows installer. On Linux however, it seems I can't make it work.

What am I doing wrong? What am I missing?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
natasha.l
in reply to: pipelineRK4DW

Hello @pipelineRK4DW

Sorry to hear this, but Maya requires a multi-user license, not a standalone single-user license on CentOS. Please submit this request here to customer service, let them know the situation & that your operating system requires a network/multi-user license to run Maya.

System Requirements for Autodesk Maya 2019

Operating System
  • Microsoft® Windows® 7 (SP1), Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary Update (64-bit only) (version 1607 or higher) operating system
  • Apple® Mac OS® X 10.11.x, 10.12.x, 10.13.x, 10.14.x operating system
  • Linux® Red Hat® Enterprise 7.3 WS and 7.5 WS operating system
  • Linux® CentOS 7.3 and 7.5 operating system ¹
  • Nvidia Guide for Virtualization with GRID & VMWare
¹ Requires a multi-user license, not supported with single-user license.
Message 3 of 14
pipelineRK4DW
in reply to: natasha.l

Thank you for the details. This was really not clear in the licensing docs.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, standalone licenses for Maya do not work at all on Linux. Correct? Is the conversion away from standalone for Linux use at an added cost?

For my scenario, I only need one user at any given time to run Maya. Is this still considered a "multi-user" license? Also, multi-user = "floating"/"network"? Or is it another type?

Also, will this conversion affect my licensing on Windows? Will Windows need to be reconfigured to use this new license?

Sorry for the waterfall of questions, I just want to be sure I fully understood you.

Thanks for the help!

Message 4 of 14

@pipelineRK4DW 

Multi-user license can be a single license qty in the license file or "X" number of license in the license file.  In the end your Linux environment could be running a multi user license and Windows a single user/standalone license or both environments could be running off the license manager.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 14

I am running into the same issue and am unclear on what the solution was / is in the end.

I bought a 3 year subscription for Maya.

I am on a Macbook Pro and do most of my work on it (Mostly Maya 2016.5, but sometimes I need to access 2019.2)

Since I am writing plugins, I need to compile them and test them for different OS, depending on what OS my clients are on.

So I have Win 10 on bootcamp which has been working fine,

but now I have a client who is on Centos 7, so I added Centos 7 via a virtual machine on my setup

and am trying to get Maya 2019 up an running, so that I can compile my plugins against that and test them

on Maya 2019.2 in Centos 7, to get them ready for the client.

But I am getting an error in the terminal when I try to run Maya after installation:

maya:Autodesk Maya 2019Licensing ErrorA licensing error occured that Autodesk systems were not able to

handle for you. Please contact Autodesk Customer Support for help in resolving this error.checkoutLicense:

Failed to authorize license.

How would I go about that and solve this problem?

thank you,

Nico.

Message 6 of 14

@nico.animschool 

Is your subscription multi user (network) or single user (standalone)?  If the latter it's not going to work because in Lunix and Centos OS you need a network version of Maya, just like what is discussed in this forum posting 

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 7 of 14

Hi Mark,

thank you for the speedy reply.
I just checked, my current subscription is 1 seat · Single-user

Can this be changed? And is there a cost difference between
What I have now and multi user (network).

I am only one person (independent contractor), but I would like to be able
to utilize
my subscription of Maya on any platform (OSX, Win and Linux) (Maya 2016.5
to 2019.2)

How can I do that, whats involved and is there a cost difference to what I
have now
and if so, how much?
I really only need Linux to compile my plugins and test them, that would be
the extend of it.

thanks
Nico.
Message 8 of 14

@nico.animschool 

No you would have to start a new subscription for a multi user.  You cant switch between single user to multi user

Mark Lancaster

Message 9 of 14

Whats does that cost?
Message 10 of 14

@nico.animschool 

You have to.contact Autodesk directly or a reseller in your area

https://www.autodesk.com/products/maya/subscribe?support=ADVANCED&plc=MAYA&term=1-YEAR&quantity=1

Mark Lancaster

Message 11 of 14

Hey hey! A birdy told me that Autodesk Maya 2020 now supports standalone licensing in Linux so I went to try it out.

Shockingly, there was zero documentation of this or mention that I could find in any changelogs online.

So, I downloaded the 2020 Linux .tgz, extracted it. In the "packages" subfolder there's a bunch of .rpm files.

I installed adlmapps17-17.0.49-0.x86_64.rpm and adsklicensing9.2.1.2399-0-0.x86_64.rpm first.

Then I installed Maya2020_64-2020.0-235.x86_64.rpm

There is also a "MayaConfig.pit" file that will be critical to make it all work.

I tried to run it but no luck:

$ /usr/autodesk/maya2020/bin/maya
maya: Autodesk Maya 2020
A licensing error occurred that Autodesk systems were not able to handle for you. Please contact Autodesk Customer Support for help in resolving this error.
adlsdkAuthorize returned with error code: ADLSDK_STATUS_LICENSE_CHECKOUT_ERROR

Boo. So, I did some digging around found out about a tool called AdskLicensingInstHelper from this knowledgebase page, then tried to find my Product Key for Maya 2020 so I google for "Maya 2020 product key" and find this almost helpful article showing all keys under the sun EXCEPT "Autodesk Maya 2020"... Why?? Why should this be easy?! Finally... from the later search result page snippets some piracy website mentioned the Maya 2020 product key was in fact 657L1 and I finally had all the information I needed to move on.

Here is the command I registered with:

sudo /opt/Autodesk/AdskLicensing/9.2.1.2399/helper/AdskLicensingInstHelper register -pk 657L1 -pv 2020.0.0.F -cf MayaConfig.pit -el US

(The .pit file came in the .tgz I downloaded btw.)

Then I called /usr/autodesk/maya2020/bin/maya and was prompted to login with a friendly UI. I clicked on "Single user", logged in, then Maya started!! :party_popper: I can finally use Maya on Linux with standalone licensing. Woohoo! 🕺

Make your docs better, Autodesk.

Message 12 of 14
lukybiernat

OMG! THank you so much, you saved my life! Running 2020 on Ubuntu 19 in trail mode as singel user 8-)

Message 13 of 14
wian65PEK

Hey there. Thanks for this, seems like this was the closest thing I found on the web. Im on Centos 8, downloaded the latest Maya2020.1, but it seems I have the same issue. I ran your register command, but no luck on my side.

After downloaded all the Maya dependencies and installing succesfully...
- I did a cd into the unpackaged "Autodesk_Maya_2020_1_ML_Linux_64bit" directory with the MayaConfig.pit
- Confirmed that I do have the "/opt/Autodesk/AdskLicensing/9.2.1.2399/helper/AdskLicensingInstHelper" directory...
- Ran the register command (No output was given in terminal)
- I even launched as "sudo /usr/autodesk/maya2020/bin/maya" in termimal and as soon as I click "Single User", the window closes and I still get this message :

maya: Autodesk Maya 2020
A licensing error occurred that Autodesk systems were not able to handle for you. Please contact Autodesk Customer Support for help in resolving this error.
adlsdkAuthorize returned with error code: ADLSDK_STATUS_LICENSE_CHECKOUT_ERROR
The default location for log files to help diagnose the issue is: /usr/tmp

The log reads:

2020-03-29 23:59:39: ====== BEGIN MAYA CLM LICENSE DIAGNOSTICS (level 2) ======
2020-03-29 23:59:39: INFO: MAYA VERSION: Autodesk Maya 2020.1
2020-03-29 23:59:39: INFO: Desktop Licensing Runtime Version: 2.6.3.31
2020-03-29 23:59:39: INFO: Desktop Licensing API version in Maya: 2.6.3.31
2020-03-29 23:59:39: INFO: initialize: GetInstance (Success)
2020-03-30 00:01:49: INFO: Received LicenseUpdateCallback for Maya 2020 (ADLSDK_UPDATE_REASON_LICENSE_UPDATE): NOT Authorized
2020-03-30 00:01:49: ERROR: Error Information: Maya 2020 : command execution error
2020-03-30 00:01:49: ERROR: adlsdkAuthorize returned with error code: ADLSDK_STATUS_LICENSE_CHECKOUT_ERROR
2020-03-30 00:01:49: ERROR: checkinLicense: unable to release authentication handle
2020-03-30 00:01:49: INFO: shutdown: normal exit
Message 14 of 14

You will need to download the latest release of adsso from here https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-licensing-service-relea... . Just get the latest version and install it. It solved my problems but in my case sign in with autodesk didn't work

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report