Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License activation not in my home-country

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dolarriaga
922 Views, 4 Replies

License activation not in my home-country

Hi,

I have a question about Autocad licensing I've not been able to completely understand how it works, so hope somebody can help me.

I'm a Mexican visiting the UK but I'll be back in Mexico City until February. I have a student license that expires this month. The student license was granted in Mexico by a Mexican university and a month ago, I installed Autocad on my boyfriend's PC here in the UK to finish some assignments using my student license without a problem .

Once back in Mexico City, I'll be working associated with a colleague and I want to buy a stand-alone license which I'll pay with my Mexican card in Autodesk Mexico, since we'll be moving and working there.

To start helping my colleague with some drafting, I want to be able to start using the new license as soon as possible, but we've been warned by other colleagues that that might not be possible since I'm not physically in Mexico for the activation.

Since I was able to install and activate Autocad with my student license in a new PC here, somebody suggested my colleague could activate the new stand alone license in Mexico and after that, I could install it in my boyfriend's PC and use it in the UK until my return.

We checked Autodesk's Global Travel Rights and our friend's suggestion kinda makes sense, but I'm not sure if this interpretation is right and if I'd be actually breaking any rules.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: dolarriaga

Generally speaking... you cannot purchase a license to use in your own region, from another region, and bring it back home.

Contact a reseller in one of your regions for the full details https://www.autodesk.com/partners/locate-a-reseller

Message 3 of 5
dolarriaga
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the reply @pendean

But if I understand correctly, wouldn't I have the same problem if I buy it here in the UK and then try to use a UK Autodesk license in Mexico? I'd be using a license bought in a different region, so I couldn't use it even if I bought it from a reseller here

Message 4 of 5
pendean

Contact a reseller in one of your regions you are in for the full details https://www.autodesk.com/partners/locate-a-reseller
Message 5 of 5
dolarriaga

Following @pendean advice , I've contacted a reseller and this is what I've learned:

You can buy and activate an Autodesk license only whilst being in the country of purchase (a.k.a. your home country, place where you reside/study, etc.). So, if your in Mexico, you must buy your license from Autodesk Mexico and activate it there. If in the US, from Autodesk US, and so on. If not, the activation software will detect you're in a different region and won't let you use your license.

Once installed and activated, you can take your laptop or PC to any other country and fully use it regardless of the region, which is what the Global Travel Rights guarantee! So, I can have a license bought and activated in the UK and then take my laptop or PC to Mexico or vice versa and back, and use my Autodesk software without a problem.

And finally, (and because I was thinking on buying a laptop from PC World and make my life easier in the future!), you can activate an Autodesk license in any computer regardless of the region you bought that computer on. So, I can take a laptop bought in the UK to Mexico, get a license from Autodesk Mexico and install it in my new laptop while being in Mexico, or vice versa.

Hope this helps those with similar questions!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report