Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading & Maya file compatibility

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
922 Views, 2 Replies

Downgrading & Maya file compatibility

Is it possible to downgrade? I would hope so as the computers at my school uses Maya 2016 but I have Maya 2018, I'm also wondering if i make something in 2018 and transfer it to 2016 will it end up not being compatible.

< Edited Content for better support. > 

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

You can always go back to the Autodesk educational community and request the 2016 version. However you can't install a legacy version when a newer version is already installed. In addition I'm not a Maya user so I'm not sure if its backwards compatible

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 3
natasha.l
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

Thank you for posting. I provided some information below that will help you make a decision & learn more about your options. 

Maya & Backwards Compatibility

It depends on the features & file format used but Maya is backward compatible, please review Maya Legacy File Compatibility

Although your school is teaching a later version it should be fine to use a newer version the tools & features do not greatly differ from 2016 to 2018 & the Maya 2018 has applied updates & fixes so it could benefit you to have a newer version. Just as long as you save your files properly they will open in both versions & try to stay away from using special features from 2018 that will not open in 2016.

I will reach out to @sean.heasley, in case you have some more Maya specific questions. 

Educational Software versions

Educational software includes the current version and 3 versions back & is offered for a term of 3 years. If you have not previously used a version that expired after the 3-year term, then Maya 2016 should still be available to you in your Education Community account & available for download (steps #3-4).

Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Please “Accept As Solution” if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report