Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Distributed and Redundant servers

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
306 Views, 2 Replies

Combining Distributed and Redundant servers

Site 1 has 3 distributed servers and Site 2 has 3 redundant.

Site 1 is using: ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE =
distributed1;@distributed2;@distributed3

If they are out of licenses I would like them to search the redundant pool for licenses.

Should the env. variable look like this:

@distributed1;@distributed2;@distributed3;@redundant1;@redundant2;@redundant3

or should I put the redundant pool in the licpath or registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ FLEXlm License Manager\ ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE=
@redundant1;@redundant2;@redundant3

Is it even possible?

Regards
Klas Janson
Cad-Q
Stockholm
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm pretty sure that "distributed" and "redundant" servers are two incompatible methods of doing the same thing. Your choice depends on your environment and the problems you're trying to solve. "Redundant" lets three servers host essentially a single license file, providing continued service if any one server goes down. But if one goes down, you're left with a single point of failure: loss of either remaining server means all licenses are down. "Distributed" is just like having multiple single servers: 10 seats here, 30 over there, and so on, and isn't limited to just three servers. Loss of one or two servers means some seats are still available. I've got to put a plug in here: for those of you administering many seats of critical products -- especially if you haven't been given sufficient training to be comfortable setting them up -- why not take advantage of Autodesk Professional Services? These are the people who do this day in, day out, and have the experience in many different environments to know what works. They'll make you look good! http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=4763864 --Cy-- "klas.janson" wrote in message news:7327596.1110977793885.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Site 1 has 3 distributed servers and Site 2 has 3 redundant. > > Site 1 is using: ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE = > distributed1;@distributed2;@distributed3 > > If they are out of licenses I would like them to search the redundant pool > for licenses. > > Should the env. variable look like this: > > @distributed1;@distributed2;@distributed3;@redundant1;@redundant2;@redundant3 > > or should I put the redundant pool in the licpath or registry: > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ FLEXlm License Manager\ > ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE= > @redundant1;@redundant2;@redundant3 > > Is it even possible? > > Regards > Klas Janson > Cad-Q > Stockholm
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks, I know the terms and how it works, but this is a case and my question was if you can "overflow" licenses from distributed servers to a redundant pool on a different site.

/Klas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report