Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot create deployment Revit 2021

107 REPLIES 107
Message 1 of 108
nguyenndSQN7Y
10504 Views, 107 Replies

Cannot create deployment Revit 2021

Hi guys,

I am trying to create a deployment for Revit to be installed through SCCM. I just downloaded Revit 2021 and it came with 6 different files, I ran the executable to combine those into an installation file with setup.exe. I then run the Setup.exe to try to create deployment as I have done with AutoCAD, Inventor and Architecture. But, after running Setup.exe, it does not give me the option to create deployment, all I could do is a normal install as if I was going to install into that one particular machine. Have you guys seen run into anything like this with Revit 2021? or know a way to create deployment for Revit 2021?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Nhan

107 REPLIES 107
Message 101 of 108
mrogalski
in reply to: huotger

@huotger Thanks I'll give that a whirl, I look forward to getting through the initial deployment installation so I can see if I can uninstall then reinstall Revit 2022 before deploying.

Once again, why isn't this clearly documented? Why do I have to play whack'a'mole with these deployments and spend hours scouring the forums for a grain of info that maybe leads me to the next one.

#angryconsumer #whycantthingsjustwork #whyamibetatestingforautodesk

Message 102 of 108
mmermel
in reply to: mrogalski

Autodesk seems to have a problem creating and updating decent documentation.  I think they sometimes forget that, as experts, they just know those little, in-between esoteric pieces of information the rest of us must hunt for.

I also think documentation is low on their list of priorities.  After all, we end-users are all geek geniuses, aren't we.

Message 103 of 108
mrogalski
in reply to: mmermel

@mmermel I was used to the old deployment tools and always was able to figure out the nuanced changes from release to release of adjusting the .ini file to make it all work as expected. Now with the .xml driven config + an .ini? WTF guys pick one or the other not both! and DOCUMENT THAT ITS A MAJOR CHANGE

I get xml, I get ini but I don't get how they work together and I shouldn't have to if the deployment tool worked as:

A. It used to

B. As advertised

O.k. end of rant (for now) I need to iron out these two tidbit I was tossed this a.m.

First one> Do not see mapped drives to select for content path during the installation | AutoCAD | Autodesk Kno...

Which had crumbs regarding my logged Revit 2022 error: Autodesk REX Framework 1603: Fatal error during installation. “Install Failed – Error 1603” error when content pack install location is using mapped drive | Revit...

there you go Autodesk you owe me $50 off my renewal for helping "document" 

Message 104 of 108
Rusty_Gesner
in reply to: mrogalski

Oh, what (not fond) memories this thread brings back. 

Attached is my documentation of what I did about all the issues I encountered to accomplish my customized deployment of Revit 2021. 

It includes info I copied and edited from the spaghetti of all I could find of Autodesk's various incomplete, sometimes erroneous, sometimes conflicting documentation at that time. 
From the recent posts in this thread, it apparently hasn't improved much, even though this new and (not) improved deployment method is being imposed on all (most?) 2022 products. 

Some of what I did, like editing the XML files to removing some of the bloat we don't need or want by commenting out portions, is in the realm of unsupported. You'll need a good XML editor, like XML Notepad. 

I also attached my customized install BAT file (renamed with a .TXT so downloading it isn't blocked). It calls another postinstall BAT file which installs all of our great Ideate and other add-ins, pushes a modified UIState.dat to the user, uses Powershell to alter the ProjectPath in the ...\UserDataCache\Revit.ini because Revit's INI processing can't handle setting it to %userprofile%\Documents\Revit Projects\, etc. 

Your mileage may vary, use it at your own risk, and make a backup before you start hacking the XMLs if you choose to do so. 
I wrote this for myself to reference when it came time to deploy updated versions or 2022 , so some of it is specific to how we are set up. However, I'm posting it hoping it will help others. 

Once I figured all this out, I can make it work as well as the old method, except:

1. It still installs a lot of irrelevant foreign language bloat which I haven't been able to stop.

2. Apparently if there is a service pack/patch I'll have to edit and redownload the online deployment and redo my XML edits

Have fun - Rusty

Message 105 of 108

You're doing better than I am.
I can't even get it to CREATE a deployment.
AutoCAD, Revit, 3DS Max, Inventor.
Whether lumping them together or doing them individually, the downloaded deployment creator craps out after a while with "Unable to create the deployment" "Unknown message".

Looking at the log file, it looks like it can't find the setup.xml file.

I've:

Tried it on a different PC, with a different PC as the deployment path.
Same at home - to rule out my proxy at work being the issue.
Uninstalled AV on both PCs. (Really? Are we STILL going there??)
Tried 7z unpacking the installer, and running the AdOdisDeployTool.exe manually.
Utterly sick and tired of Autodesk.

Message 106 of 108
mrogalski
in reply to: Rusty_Gesner

@Rusty_Gesner Thanks for the info, and thanks for yet another supporting documentation that Autodesk does not have their act together in the realm of documentation or deployment creation tools.

With that said I'll se if I can decipher your files and apply it to my deployments.

Message 107 of 108

Hi @gerardsweeney,

Apologies for the issues you're having.  I appreciate that it's frustrating.

3ds Max was having an issue with their deployment over the last day or so that we have now resolved.  If you run the downloaded file again, it will successfully create the deployment image.

Hope that helps,

Danny Polkinhorn
Sr. Product Manager
Message 108 of 108

Hi, Danny.

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

For what it's worth, I was having exactly the same issue with AutoCAD 2022, Inventor 2022 and Revit 2022.
Either lumped together as 1 deployment, or trying to create a new deployment for each individual program.

I've tried again today.... Revit appears to download to the image, but AutoCAD errors out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report