Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing a paper drawing

Printing a paper drawing

Posting an official idea here.  Please, please, PLEASE add a print function from Fusion.  Not only would like like to not create a new file to pdf the drawing first, I would also like the ability for other functions I used to installed "printer" that output files such as TIFF, PDF (with settings and options), and other things.  

I'm really loving Fusion, but this ability to print REALLY needs to be added.  Thanks!

31 Comments
madengineer13
Advocate

Unless I am  missing something, right now the only way to print a drawing is to convert it to PDF and then print the pdf, is that correct?  it would be very desireable to just print right from the drawing in F360

Tags (1)
Anonymous
Not applicable

For sure. Half the reason I like F360 is automatic versioning and the ability to push specific revisions of models, but when I'm printing from PDF files that are being incremented manually, or just overwritten, I get a whole mess of files that don't indicate which version any individual one came from.

jason.tebbe
Advocate

Since the other print to paper ideas all seem to be getting archived, I'll add my 2 cents here. It is absurd that a CAD program can't print directly to paper. Yes, it's nice to be able to export as PDF and DWG, but as I see it, print to paper is a mandatory feature. If you're going to roll FEA, animation, and CAM into one program, why would you require a third party to print?

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

j.beerstecher
Explorer

upvoted ! We really need this.. There is a dialogbox for 3d printing.. Nice to see! But maybe start with the easy things first: normal 2D paper printing Smiley Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a user of Solidworks for 16 years I assumed that Fusion would be able to print drawings in the same way. I can create a .dwg file and have tried using Autocad 360 to print it but hit a brick wall. Please advise if there is software that will do this. As a new user to Fusion 360 I find it easy to use with some commendable functions, but being unable to produce prints of drawings lets it down. Any advice on how to achieve this would be welcome. 

utekcnc
Advocate

I really support this.  Please get this going.

mastermachinedesign
Participant

Man, I'm just now working on a few drawings and have the same thought.  I'm SHOCKED that there isn't some sort of basic print button to get these drawings to paper.  I am looking to print to files, possible TIFF format and the printing function I figured would be my best bet. Then I couldn't find the print button.  

Come on guys, for a drawing the number one function should be to print for markups and for use!  Please include this in an update soon!

ah.fathy
Contributor

the third party printing consideration is very difficult

i need to print on papers this is really important ???

please consider this very important

TimeraAutodesk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

mastermachinedesign
Participant

Awesome to see this is changed to future consideration.  I'm going to keep right on bugging though!  Any chance to get an idea when this could be added?  

I can't emphasize how important this is to have an easy way to print right from Fusion.  It's CRAZY to not be able to direct print currently.  Thanks!!

mastermachinedesign
Participant

I'm here bugging again!  I thought I read that the printing functions were going to be added for the Nov 6th updates?  Did I miss something there?  They don't seem to be there yet?

The upgrades are great and loving the software.  This seems like a simple win for the drawings and also has been getting a BUNCH of kudo's so I imagine others would like to see it.  PLEASE add this in soon!!  Thanks!

smg288
Participant

Outputting a drawing to PDF is good, but why cant we just send the drawing to the printer? Or at least have the option to print the pdf after it outputs the drawing.

Tags (1)
jason.tebbe
Advocate

This idea is also here and here.

tcurlee
Explorer

I'll add my comment about printing. 

Creating a PDF is fine, even important, but all of the CAD/software developers at Autodesk need to realize that we are usually generating drawings of physical objects.  It may come as a shock to the developers, but some of us design these physical objects and then actually go out and make them.  I take a printout of the design to the shop and cut wood or machine metal, or give them to someone who does.  I don't take the computer.  Having to create a pdf, then finding the directory and opening a file with a third party application just to get a print that I can mark up and get greasy fingerprints all over is really beyond belief for a company like Autodesk.  While collaborative design, cloud based storage, and paperless work flow are all currently popular buzzwords, sometimes a 8.5"X 11" piece of paper is by far the most practical. 

Please include what virtually all CAD programs ever produced have - the ability to sent the file to a printer.

jpayne
Explorer

Why is there no PRINT button?!?  Seems like a very basic function that should just be there.  PLEASE add this basic function to Fusion.  Yes, you can save an image and open it with PS or PDF and print from there.  But that is slow.  I work in the real world where time is money.  Printing a screen image to paper, walking it over to my manager to review and mark up is still the fastest way to communicate in my office.

Tags (2)
yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

I asked for this years ago. I am sure you can find my idea in here somewhere.
Good luck with this. Apparently they don't understand the need for this workflow.

mastermachinedesign
Participant

Seriously, this has been months now.  I can't believe that adding a print function would be such a big deal.  Tons of kudos, lots of comments, what does it take to get a print button??

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

The number of votes or urgency that something is needed is not really what the idea station is about. It's more of a place for people to throw stuff on the wall in hopes that something might stick. Something getting 200 votes does not mean it will be significantly more likely to be implemented.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/print-drawing-straight-from-f360/idc...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/print-function/idi-p/6033403

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/printing-drawings/idi-p/5452928

Fig40
Explorer

Let me add to the many calls already here to add a print function to Fusion360 - as a designer who iterates and shares work with colleagues, the need to print is vital to my workflow.  PLEASE highgrade this one!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report