Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name a Function/Operation as you create it option

Name a Function/Operation as you create it option

I think it would be great to be able to name a function and even the part when you creat the body. It wil quickly allow you to identify the part you just made in the bodies as well as see them in the time line.Screen Shot 2015-11-26 at 10.55.42 AM.png

26 Comments
SGoldthwaite
Collaborator

I'm trying to get into the habbit of renaming my timeline operations to something meaningful.  It's a pain right clicking on the operation in the timeline and renaming it.  I'd like to see a field added to the operation's dialog box for the name.  So when the operation is first created and you're editing all the various settings, you'd have a name field and just name it right from the start.

Tags (2)

It'd be great to have milestones tags where you can easily say «I'm doing X now» or «I just finished Y»

Remy18
Enthusiast

I agree with your idea especially with a long design history ! Only in my opinion a body has often more features with for example some extra chamfers added, then only a revolve feature. Maybe it does satisfy a part of your idea because the rename possibilities you can do at the features and bodies ? 

rename features and bodies.png

haughec
Autodesk

This is a good idea, and it's great to see the community support.  A few clarifying comments/questions:

• When creating a feature, we could allow you to specify a feature name.  This would be reflected in the Timeline.
  • Body naming is a bit tricky, as not all features create a body - most features modify an existing body.

1. How important is Body naming vs Feature naming?
  2. If a feature creates a body, would it be sensible to assign the same name to both?  They could be edited independently thereafter.

Thanks,

Charles

eric.strebel
Collaborator

Thnaks for reaching out and asking.

After some thought I think this will be a good flexible solution.

-If you are using a feature to create a body then you would be presented with the default editable "BodyX" so you could edit the name if you wanted, or just leave the default "BodyX" as is the case currently.

-If its a feature that edits an existing Body then you should be presented with two dialogue box name otions, the curent name of the Body that you are editing and the otipn to edit that name for the time line with the undertsanding that when you hit "ok" the body name will be changed along with the feature being applied. In this case you would also create the feature name in the time line as you suggest.

Basically you will always have the otption to edit the name of the Body and or the Feature.

Example: Lets say I create a cube/Box (currently it actually says "Box" but it names it a Body in the Bodies list, thats wierd to me...), I have the option to name that box "CharlieBlue" right in the dialogue box that pops up. If I then want to add a fillet to "CharlieBlue" I would then have the option to change the "body name" and the "feature name" In the first editable dialogue box the "body name" as "CharlieBlue"  would apear, that I will rename it to "CharlieBlueCheese", in a second editable dialogue box. I would change the feature name to "CharlieBlueFillet" This will show me in the time line where the fillet has been added.

Hope this description helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. Feel free to post a screen shot of your concept as I descrbed above, so I can see and give further feedback.

Best

Eric

brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装済み

GMDesigns74
Contributor

When using the "Create component from Bodies" (Which incidentally should be singular as I worded it, not creating x components from x bodies, all the selected bodies should go into one component) it's only logical to me to immediately name said component.  I routinely find myself accidentally invoking other commands because I started typing the component name.

Also when right clicking the browser and creating a component it should automatically highlight for naming, not require the extra step of clicking again to become editable.

patrik-web
Advocate

I didn't even realize that feature names were editable until recently, and ran into the problem that I had this long-ish history and there was a problem with "Extrude5" and it was not at all easy to figure out what that is. For bodies/components/sketches, I think the problem is less severe because

1. You can easily click them on/off and see what they are, and
  2. Renaming by clicking on the name in the browser is pretty intuitive, for features you have to right-click, rename, on each (AFAIK).

The feature names aren't really ever displayed or referred to, which makes them more "out of sight, out of mind"... until you really need them. I think being able to specify the feature name directly would be very useful.

Incidentally, the feature names are also confusing because they are duplicated, ie there's a "Joint Origin 1" for each component, but unlike for bodies or sketches, when you see them in the timeline there's no hierarchy to qualify what the "Joint Origin 1" belongs to.

haughec
Autodesk

Thanks for the feedback.  I think the take-away is that there is value in naming features, bodies and components at the time of creation.  I've logged FUS-22551 to track this internally (the link won't work outside of Autodesk).

I'm changing this to Under Review until we can estimate & prioritize the work.

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

lokiidesigns
Advocate

@haughec, @charegb 

Any chance we can bundle this into the similar feature from @eric.strebel that was recently accepted, as it seems to me to be an extension on a similar theme in Fusion requests? Recently accepted idea is posted below:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/automatically-name-stl-files-the-name...

Also for your interest is my post below which I also believe fits into a similar function:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/body-name-auto-populates-component-na...

charegb
Community Manager

Somethings are a lot easier to do than others so one of these ideas can happen faster and independeltly of the other. We are trying to figure out how both of these ideas this fits in the next few updates...

Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Bankim

DDP-ED
Advocate

When I create the rotation or extrude we can choose: "cut", "add", "new body" and "new component". If I chose "new component", then after the operation I had to find new component in the browser and rename it. It's a waste of time. I propose to simplify: when you select "new component", add below the "component name", where you can immediately write his name.

Screenshot_1.png

I think it will be helpful to many. If someone don't need to rename the new component will appear with the default name as before.

Tags (1)
haughec
Autodesk

This is in our backlog (FUS-22551), but we can't yet commit to an implementation date.  Moving this to Future Consideration until we hav a chance to begin.

Thanks,

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

paulsgregg
Explorer

This is a small thing, but when I create a new component in Fusion360, I know what I want to name it, and I'd like to be able to name it right away, without off-clicking, and clicking the componentXX name a couple times to edit it.  This is probably habit from other CAD programs, but I find myself typing in a name, and having to back out of a bunch of hotkey commands, clicking several times on the name before I can rename it what I want.

This is small but huge - especially given all that's made of «F360 Rule #1»

tomjulier
Enthusiast

Its the same for me; I've usually typed half the component name before I realise its not going to work. This is after using Fusion 360 almost exclusively for a few months.

patmang
Enthusiast

YES - THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE FROM DAY 1...

145 votes and «we'll think about it.. eventually» for something that seems like a quick and dirty no-brainer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report