Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessible Unser Parameters for linked assemblies and components

Accessible Unser Parameters for linked assemblies and components

When linking existing components and assemblies (X-REFs) into a new design for re-use at the moment there is no way to change anyting in that linked assembly. It would however be a very nice thing if one would at least have access to some user configurable parameters.

For example if the assemly that is to be re-used is a linear bearin and rail assembly one may want to cheng eht position of the bearing on the rail without having to creat a new version of the assembly, or without breaking the link.

Here is another example in ascreencast.

27 Comments
schengnz
Enthusiast

Fusion360 currently allows access to the user parameter in the root component. If a components includes another component, it is not possible to access/change the sub-component's user parameters.

One obvious workaround to this limitation is not to use sub-components at all, having a single component. However this becomes extremely unweidly when the model reach a certain size, and also eliminates the possibilities of having re-usable/standard parts etc.

By having this new capability, it would be possible to have full parametric design across components. This is particularly useful for creating customizable models (like furniture that can be resized/customized). 

Tags (3)
brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

rdevelop
Explorer

Thank you for suggesting this.

Here is another example:

Imagine a 2x4 piece of lumber that is a component that can be used with different lengths.

But also, if you change the real dimensions of the 2x4 to  1.5x3.5  that should propgate to all instances (even those with different lenghts).

marc.pouliot.1
Contributor

User Data and object orientation....  YESSS!!

I really vote for this and I have the same problem.

User assignable parameter on a component basis would really be great in cases where you have the same component over and over but with a different parameter value (but the same "name") in some cases or with the same parameter in others.

It would be nice if the User Parameter Data and "name" are accessible from the API as well.

The work flow could be :

Copy Component with User Parameters

Paste (to keep the link between the components 'User Parameter ' (ex.length)

or

Paste New... to create a "new component" with a different User Parameter (length)

Edit parameter and ... join etc.

Thank you.

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to future consideration and will be a part of the configuration project.

Cheers,

Mike Prom

tjstephens
Enthusiast

I was just wanting the same thing in one of my designs, in my case for o-rings.

In my case, it would be neat to be able to insert an o-ring component, and then set the ID and cross-section in the parameters window rather than either having to create a new torus in place, or create multiple different components outside the design that I'm working on. 

Aphoenicis
Explorer

Surfacing the user parameters for a component (linked or not) would be really useful. I have a component which is a spur gear with various parameters, and it would be nice to create instances of it with different parameters.

autodesk3QJRX
Participant

I can't think of any other way to make an assembly in which the left and right half are parameterized versions of each other. (e.g. with cut outs pulled in opposite directions.)

This is the first thing that has stopped me in my tracks in fusion 360. I'll have to unlink one side from the other to achieve this... yuck.

Let's get this going!

TrippyLighting
Consultant

@autodesk3QJRX

There is a good chance that you don't realy need linked components to do that in your assembly.

If you creae  new thread on the forum we can discuss how tat can be accomplished.

maritza.ga
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

cloudbase9
Advocate

Yah, access to parameters in linked files really should happen soon, please!

TrippyLighting
Consultant

This Idea should be linked to here.

TrippyLighting
Consultant

This idea should be linked to this one.

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for your idea.  This idea was merged with an idea that was already changed to future consideration.  For this reason this idea is now being updated.  The ability to edit in place is in our teams backlog.

Regards,

Mike Prom

Internal tracking FUS-18499

TrippyLighting
Consultant

I had no idea that editing in place would include this ability.. Makes sense though!

Duesentrieb66
Explorer

Any updates on this? It really makes my life so much more complicated not to have this option. Solidworks has it.

Thanks!

ikcalb
Participant

Any progress on this one?

(Goes hand in hand with parts families, which would really be worth implementing too)

bpopp
Observer

Big thumbs up for this one. It would make parametric components 1000x more powerful. Seems like it would be a relatively easy enhancement to allow each component to have it's own set of UserParameters (accessible from a right click on each component). So from the high level assembly, insert multiple copies of a component and then right click each one to override its UserParameters. In my opinion, changing parameters from an assembly should not affect the original component's UserParameter values.

Thanks for an amazing product. We all love what you do!

danmenes
Participant

Love Fusion 360, but the lack of this basic feature is a real problem.

tjk945
Explorer

Wondering if there's been any update on what the timeline is for this?

I'm pretty new to Fusion 360 and CAD in general but, after modeling some extruded aluminum 8020 sections I was going to use in a project, I was really surprised to discover that I couldn't modify any of the parameters after pulling them into another file as linked components.

What's the point of parametric modeling if you can't use the models to procedurally generate the components needed?

Other than this issue I've been absolutely loving Fusion 360 so far and I'd hate to have to find (and learn) another piece of software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea