Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-Engraving & Flat Bottoms

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
SamanthaJaneyCake
1124 Views, 4 Replies

V-Engraving & Flat Bottoms

Hi all,

New to the CNC world, but happily plugging away and even got some nice 3D cuts done! I'm somewhat stumped on this engraving issue I have though...

You see, I want to engrave a simple logo but in areas it widens out quite a bit. F360 wants to just keep engraving the V as deep as necessary so that it has a V bottom. What I want is to have a maximum depth it engraves to and then swap bit and give it a flat bottom where necessary (or vice versa). So for channels 1mm deep its a V but for 3mm deep its a \___/ , if that makes sense!

I tried this a few ways to no avail, I figured one option was to do an adaptive clear leaving 3mm stock then go around that with the engraver to chamfer it, but the first pass came up as an "empty tool path".

All advice welcome, thank you 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Can you export your project as a .F3D file and attach it here? This would be the simplest way to help.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How...

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 5

Hi!

Here you go:

Message 4 of 5

Hi,

Sorry, I accidentally posted the requested file as a separate reply so I suppose you were't notified it was uploaded!

Message 5 of 5

Fusion doesn't really have a good way of dealing with the flat bottoms in pockets and the engrave function at the same time. I've seen a couple IdeaStation posts about this from time to time.

Your only clean option (as far as I'm aware) would be to model out the tapered walls correctly and then use a 3D path to clear out the corners not reached by the engrave. It's not really pretty or user friendly

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report