Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation of a living hinge joint

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2127 Views, 2 Replies

Simulation of a living hinge joint

Hi, 

I am trying to create a simulation of a living hinge joint for a plastic container cap. I want to validate the hinge thicknesses etc through this simulation. 

By doing this ill see the action of the hinge in order to explain to further co workers. 

please see my basic attached drawing

Rudi

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Rudi,

You can do the simulation using a nonlinear static analysis because I assume the displacements will be large (the rotation of the hinge larger than a few degrees which is the limitation of static stress). It may be difficult to get  enough elements through the hinge area to get accurate results depending on the thickness of the hinge. Thin parts are normally analyzed using shell elements, but Fusion does not have that element type currently.

Let us know what specific questions you have.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
tommVS2MB
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you looked at this: https://www.3dhubs.com/blog/cad-modeling-2-living-hinges/

This is titled "CAD Modeling #2 - Living Hinges" and is for F360

Does this do something similar to what you desire.

Tom Meyers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report