Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts in assembly move when putting joints on other parts

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
andy.c
1312 Views, 6 Replies

Parts in assembly move when putting joints on other parts

I have an assembly. There is a part that I cannot move because it is defined by joints. Using the same assembly in a new version with new parts the defined part now moves when I apply joints to other parts. This should not be happening. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
chrisplyler
in reply to: andy.c

In your base file, at least one Component is Grounded.

When you insert that file into a larger assembly file, the Joints it had are maintained, but the Grounded status is not. This is because it is assumed that you will want to Joint (and move into position) your inserted base file into a new position within the larger assembly.

If you don't want it to move, you will have to reestablish the Grounded status within the inserted version of it.

Message 3 of 7
TrippyLighting

@andy.c wrote:

I have an assembly.

Cool, where is it ?

Peter Doering
Message 4 of 7
andy.c
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Please tell the best way to send you the model. I cannot post it to the general public. If the only way to get help is to share it then I can only share it with you.

Message 5 of 7
TrippyLighting

PM me the public link to the design.

Peter Doering
Message 6 of 7
TrippyLighting

Now having had a chance to look at the design, I don't think you understand at all how to properly assemble components in Fusion 360. The joints you use are all wrong, starting with the first one. You don't need there individual joints to assemble these 2 components, you need one rigid joint.

The joints in Fusions 360 are NOT like geometric mates in other CAD software.

There is also no need to use the move tool and move a body away from its origin to re-orient it before assembling.

And that's just the first small section of your timeline. The 2 move commands are not needed. The three joints can be replaced with a single rigid joint.

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 5.46.11 AM.png

Peter Doering
Message 7 of 7

Here's another no-no

You have a body that should be in its own component located in an assembly that also hosts one or more other components at the same structural level.

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 6.17.13 AM.png

I wonder how you want to move forward from here. You cannot share the design, so we cannot post it here and have other people also benefit from the learning content, but you clearly need some help.

In a feeble attempt of shameless self advertising I would like to mention that I do offer professional 1-on-1 Fusion 360 support and private tutoring for Fusion 360. Please let me know if that interests you.

Peter Doering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report