Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketching on curved surfaces

Sketching on curved surfaces

Ok i know this one must be very tricky but sketching on a non flat surface would be incredible !

I know you can project drawings and models on surfaces but it's time consuming when you have to redraw or modify things (for 3D models, you have to unlink everything after projection and its very hard even after unlinking to change anything).

51 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm really after something exactly like Inventor's Wrap to Surface (within Project to Surface) where you can wrap one or more 2D curves or points onto a selected face while preserving the curve length. We already have Project to Closest Point and Project Along a Vector in Fusion; just missing this one!

Example application: projecting a logo onto a complex shape while retaining the correct dimensions.

cekuhnen
Mentor

interesting tool - has my vote!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to flatten a curved face of a body so as to create a pattern for a wrapped part? I am not so concerned with objects with spherical or compound curvature (yet...), but portions of a cylinder or other such shapes.

Abel

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd really like to be able to sketch directly on a non-planar face, as it is possible in many surface modeling systems. The resulting non-planar faces should be use-able as much like planar faces as possible.

haughec
Autodesk

I've added this to our backlog: FUS-15164.  

Thanks!

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: 実装予定

MichaelAubry
Autodesk

Hey Cshormann,

We are actually working on putting this functionality into Fusion. The plan right now is to have it in the next few releases.

haughec
Autodesk

Hi Cshormann,

To clarify, when you say "sketch", do you mean using Fusion's existing sketch tools (Line, Rectangle, etc) or are you referring to more "freehand" sketching to sketch character lines, colors, etc to augment a design?

Thanks,

Charles

haughec
Autodesk

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Charles,

ideally, both 🙂 But my higher priority is the ability to use the existing sketching tools. I'd rather directly draw a line on a surface, as opposed to drawing on a plane and then projecting. That of course no implies that I can do things with non-planar faces, such as push/pull, extrude, etc. The semantics of modeling operations with non-planar faces / sketches may be a bit more complex, but I think it's still possible to make something that works "as expected" in most cases.

Regards,

CS   

haughec
Autodesk

Thanks for the quick feedback.  Unfortunately, we don't have an active task to allow sketching on non-planar surfaces with the existing sketch tools.  We are looking into improving sketch projection options (including wrapped projections) which will allow you to project onto non-planar surfaces, but we may not support direct sketching for a while unless we hear more feedback.

Charles

haughec
Autodesk

Seconded / I've wanted to do this a bunch of times.

Dunndor
Enthusiast

I would even take Projected sketches on a curved surface.... I wanna know why i cant extrude a godamnned curved face!?

That'd be awesome!

As it is you'd have to patch, offset, and then boundary fill to accomplish the same thing.

kdherrington
Observer

Any idea on when this might be added?

laughingcreek
Mentor

I would also love to be able to draw a poly line that lays on a surface.   This would make so many forms easier to achieve.

bobreib
Community Visitor

Me too ..   Solidworks allows you to draw directly on a curved surface. The process in Fusion is really time consuming.

cekuhnen
Mentor

while fusion has a project sketch onto surface

I am curious if it would be possible to draw a sketch right onto a surface.

The reason is so I have more control over curve placement.

the current option to project I think only works mainly for linear directions.

Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 9.48.04 AM.png

Tags (1)
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report