Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-ordering for User Parameters

Re-ordering for User Parameters

There has been a submitted Idea for this before, but it has been archived.  
I'm using several parameters for a design and I want some major parameters at the top of my list.  It would be great if we can manually change the order of our parameters instead of a default by order of creation.  Also, being able to change the units after a parameter is created would be helpful, I forgot to set a parameter to DEG and had to recreate it because I couldn't re-select the units.  

36 Comments
Brady_Fulton
Advocate

Rearranging would be nice, changing unit would be nice too, but I understand why it cannot.

If it was already in use, you'd likely break your design when it tried to recalculate.

Do you know about setting Favorites for parameters? I use it all the time to make certain parameters more easily accessible.

Screenshot (33)_LI.jpg

hunterscotty
Contributor

The ability to change the parametric order of things is an important feature, that can improve the design process. Inventor, Solidworks, Catia and Creo handle this. Time for Fusion to do so...

MetalDawg
Advocate

I cannot imagine that reordering a list would have anything to do with "breaking links."  It is not a spreadsheet in the traditional sense.  The only formulas that matter are the ones you input.  Also, I second being able to change units of measurement after the creation of a parameter. It is a frustrating workflow compared to other CAD programs.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

MetalDawg
Advocate

Status changed to: Under Review

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MetalDawg
Advocate

It would also be great to be able to save a list of parameters so that it can be applied to any design without having to retype exhaustive lists.

Brady_Fulton
Advocate
JamieGilchrist
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

hi Cbyrdtopper,

we realize this is an important workflow and have identified in our roadmap that the experience around parameters could use an overhaul, but given our current state and priorities around sketching, core modeling and clean up of some other higher priority experiences , this likely won't happen in the near to mid-term.  We will absolutely consider this workflow when we do get to looking at the overall parameters experience however.

hope this helps,

Jamie Gilchrist

Experience Design, Manager

Cbyrdtopper
Enthusiast

Jamie,

Thanks for the update.

I have some future plans with the Fusion 360 parameters, I plan to add them to our main product line.  I plan on using parameters to build my model to make changes quickly and accurately for manufacturing different configurations of our products.  I have already made a parametric model of one product line, and it works great.  I look forward to the improvement of parameters inside Fusion 360.  

hoegge
Collaborator

Both the ability to:

1) Reorder

2) Sort

3) Nest

parameters should be implemented and the parameters dialog needs to be non-modal, so you can keep it open while working on the design

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe it would also help to group parameters in a folder like structure.

r.moss
Advocate

One thing I find very awkward is that you cannot enter a dimension while the User Parameters popup window is open.  It would be good to be able to pick a dimension from that window, or at least remind oneself what name you gave it...ideally have a hot-key to open it.    I know one can type a letter and see a subset of the parameters which contain the letter, but there seems no way of getting the complete list.  (Perhaps I should make each name contain a "z"!)

As designs progress, some parameters may become unused and clutter up the list.  It would be nice to see which are unused (e.g. by "User Parameter" being grey instead of black) so they can be deleted if no longer needed...yes, of course every parameter starts off being unused but hopefully they don't stay that way.  I like the suggestion of structured parameters (lid.length, lid.width etc?).  Another useful feature would be the ability to right-click a parameter and "isolate" it, showing just those parameters that link to it.

ahacking
Explorer

I use parameters consistently and really value them - thanks!

I would really like ordering and nesting (and sorting to a lesser extent).

It would be great to add a parameter as I'm setting the dimension in a sketch. I could complete the sketch then add the parameters, but I work by adding them in the Change Parameters 'grid', then choose them as I generate each dimension. It's more back and forth than I'd like.

Kudos on a job well done!

loganrmay
Enthusiast

Can we not even numerically order parameters yet???

mcd8604
Enthusiast

I just started with Fusion 360 and am enjoying working with parametric models. I allows me to very quickly make adjustments to the models while I am prototyping. This saves me a considerable amount of time over using something like Blender. The current model I am working on has over a dozen parameters and I am planning to add many more in the future. I needed to start organizing them once the list got to be long and now I can see how this will eventually become cumbersome. I know that once model complexity increases to a certain point, I will be forced to use OpenSCAD instead.

cfeied
Participant

A grid that can't sort by values of the "Name" column, in 2018? Really? Where did you even find such a thing? 

Neglecting basic functionality like this while adding new "features" is the path to garbageville. 

Sad.

loganrmay
Enthusiast
Not good. Makes finding parameters in a grid of 200 next to impossible
akennberg
Observer

Blocking feature for more complicated projects.

a.wendt87
Explorer

Just wanted to say that this is still very relevant to me and i really hope this will be implemented soon, I'm no expert, but a can't imagine it being this awkwardly hard. 

I also like to have parameters sorted in groups - that would only be logical if i can design several components in a file to order parameters accordingly.

It's actually the only thing that bothers me to this point and i absolutely dig Fusion 360!

albert6XE5C
Community Visitor

First time using the software for a project, and straight away I need to reorder the parameters, otherwise it's quite cumbersome to find things.

What about a basic search feature at the top, just a textbox to filter down the list?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report