Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

basic functionality of Drawings environment

basic functionality of Drawings environment

A call (or cry) for feature enhancement of the drawings environment.

As a relatively new user of Fusion 360, but an very experienced user of parametric software (Creo, SW, NX, etc.) I have been positive surprised by quality of most environments - Fusion 360 works really well designing in 3D.

Moving on to the drawings environment and the chain snaps - even basic features like hidden lines, broken views etc, aren't included or full of bugs. The drawings environment appears to be stuck in a early beta version - it is impossible to make correct 2D drawings of even very basic geometry.

I a well aware that the 3D environments sells more tickets, but to engineers and other professional users, quality 2D drawings is essential - without them, the 3D model is worthless. (Not verything in the work is printed on a makerbot).

I there for urge Fusion 360 to allocate more resources to make the drawings environment usable - from the basic features and up - and thereby make Fusion 360 a product for professionals, as well as hobbyist and semi-pros.

PS: If there is a need for testing, advising or any kind of help/input, I will gladly volunteer.  

11 Comments
suhailQ75LN
Participant

I would also like to put myself out there for these features. 

It's been very well put - 3d models mean nothing without drawings.

The drawings section is laughable. I thought I had features disabled when I first clicked on it...

PantechniconDesign
Enthusiast

Agreed. Things like the inability to add multiple designs to one drawing make it un-usable in a production environment.

Andrii_S
Explorer

Agreed.

It's been very well put - 3d models mean nothing without drawings!

GeoffPacker7777
Advocate

YES, please update the drawing side of things. Hatching and shortening ability to hide on certain views only multiple models on one drawing etc etc

mdpcadsolutions
Contributor

I couldn't agree more. 100% more effort and resources need to be directed to the drawing environment. As an entrepreneur I work with clients daily on generating 3D Models and 2D Engineering Drawings. Because Fusion 360 is lacking in the drawing department, it has become a less viable option. Which is sad, considering the other environments within the software are exceptional. I implore Autodesk to direct their efforts in improving the drawing environment. 

Garret_H
Collaborator

This environment needs to be improved!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want some real X,Y & Z Positioning tools the work per i'll call it a vertex because thats what I'd describe it as when writing software, I want to be able to place new vertex on a new non existing shape then drag the initial point to its home using ctrl,alt and shift to lock to X,y & z planes. This one time set a plane and draw on that alone unless you create a new sketch is getting really annoying, so much i'm considering throwing all I have learned about 360 away and starting fresh with software that has a speedier workflow when it comes to throwing down points in 3d. Its a 3D editor? Why am I always stuck reverting to 2D? Why cant I just twist my perspective and voilla! The point now moves in relativity to my view(again using some keyboard shortcut to either toggle or select the plane, if toggle there had better be an on screen indicator to let ya know what plane your now working in.)

I want to be able to stop with a half finished 3d object, come back later when other stuff is designed and finish off the original '3d' drawing by adding missing faces or vertex points.

How come there isn't a better way to do 3d sketching? Its critical to 3D printing and workflows in regard to expectations on how the software would ask you for the required information?

Garret_H
Collaborator

@Anonymous what you are describing is working in the model environment with sketches and the like, not the drawing environment. 

Drawings are specifically 2D representations by their paper based nature.

Why the model environment behaves the way that it does, where 2D sketches are used to define 3D geometry? Because it most closely resembles how we humans measure objects.  We don't really measure in true 3D most of the time, instead we use multiple 2D measurements to locate a point in 3D. What you're looking for might be better found in VR based sculpting tools where precision isn't important.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok just somthing else I still havent differentiated in understanding about fusion, sorry to waste your time, would you like me to delete my comments?

Garret_H
Collaborator

I'd suggest moving them to "Fusion 360 Design, Validate & Document" and try looking for help in how to get the workflow you are looking for, I know there are some tricks to do work with 3D sketching more directly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks for the heads up hope you find luck getting the drawing tools extended.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report