Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block Manual for my fellow draftsmen

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
486 Views, 2 Replies

Dynamic Block Manual for my fellow draftsmen

Hello all,

I have been kicking around ideas on how to create a manual of each of the dynamic blocks that I have created for my company. What I am looking for is some type of interactive way that will show the user how the block works as well as each of the blocks various options. I have thought about creating a video screen capture of each block working. I have also thought about maybe making a PowerPoint presentation of each block. Along with those 2 options I have thought about embedding whatever the end product would be into a hyperlink within the block. This way if they wanted to see it working they could just hold CTRL and click it, it would then launch a video or what have you. I'm curious if anyone out there has done something similar or if it's even worth my time. For those wondering why they can't just click on the block and play with it to see what it does. The answer is... we have some VERY old school people up here that are leery of any change or new ways of doing things. Also, if a user doesn't know exactly what they are looking for within the block the manual would help to clear up any confusion. For instance I have made a block of all of our electrical switches, in total there are 12 different ones. Unless they know the exact name of the one they need it would be a matter of trial and error, clicking each one until the visibility state turns on the one they need. It would be nice if CAD had a scrolling view of the block on the palette or something similar so that it would be clear exactly what all the block contains. Some of my blocks have items that are related to each other but look nothing similar to each other. So the picture of the block on the palette doesn't really depict what may be available within the various options of the block. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has attempted to tackle this issue.

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tedwardspg
in reply to: Anonymous

I have found that unless you have made blocks that are very similar in appearence that you are just slowing your users down with dynamic blocks. For instance if you have a switch and want to be able to have visibility to make it a 3 way this one will get used more than if you have a block that turns into 2 and 3 swtiches. Users like to know exactly what the are inserting into their drawings. Like if you have a 2 x 4 light that also is able to be a 1 x 4 light and can stretch into a 2 x 4 or a 1 x 6. Users witll shy away from those no matter how new school or old school. if you have 1 block that turns into 12 things you are wasting your time. Its better  for you to have simple items so everyone can understand what is going on. Just because something can be done does not mean it should be done.

I have been a CAD manager since 2001 and when the palettes can out I thought that was the best thing ever and they were so easy  to create and use. My users loved them too. I select to have a palette for just lighting plans and on for power and one for signal plans, Great!

When dynamic blocks came out I did those too with the lights mentioned above and confused everyone because they were not able to see what they were using. I knew that all the lights were in one block and I was able to consolidate all the blocks to only have 1-2 palettes. That was a mistake. Everyones productivity when down the tubes and the bosses were not too happy. I lost that job after trying to implement that standard.  If you want to make a movie or have to explain how to use something that should be very straight forward you are also going to be wasting the bosses money and your job is to save the bosses money and ensure everyone is more productive and efficent.

ACA 2013
Windows 7 enterprise
Intel core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 - 4GB
Message 3 of 3
Libbya
in reply to: tedwardspg

I'm sure things are different from one office to the next, but I have found the reverse to be true.  The electrical plans at the office I work for contain three blocks, one for switches, one for fixtures and one for receptacles.  Users appreciate having all the options available in one block and not having to figure out which block has what they way in it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report