Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text readability when editing styles

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
deltacoolguy
252 Views, 4 Replies

Text readability when editing styles

See the black screen and the text inside?  If you're like me the text is virtually invisible.  It seems dependent on layer color and font, because in some cases it's perfectly readable.  How can I set this so color and font is completely irrelevant?  I just want some text I can always read no matter what.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ChrisRS
in reply to: deltacoolguy

TCE = Text Component Editor

1. TCE background color matches the 'space' that the TCE is invoked from.
    My standard is Model Space background = Dark and Layout (Paper space) background = Light
    If a layout tab is active when you invoke TCE the background will be light and easier to read.
    I make sure to switch to a layout tab before invoking TCE.
  2. TCE text window uses true type fonts (TT).
    AutoCAD includes proxy TT fonts for the AutoCAD stick (shx) fonts.
    These proxy fonts are very thin and can be hard to read. Actual TT fonts, like Arial are easier to read.
    If you use stick (shx) fonts, you may want to temporarily redefine the style to use a TT font.
  3. I do not know why, but, Autodesk provides Simplex.ttf, Simplex_IV25.ttf, and Simplex_IV50.ttf
    Simplex_IV25 is heavier than Simplex and is easier to read.
    Simplex_IV50 is heavier than Simplex_25 and is even easier to read.
    Making a backup ofSimplex.ttf and renaming a copy of Simple_IV25.ttf or Simplex_IV50.ttf to Simplex.ttf will make TCE easier to read.
    I do not do this. I do not know if this could cause problems elsewhere.

Let us know if this is useful.

Good Luck.

This is copy of my reply from a different post.

Follow the link for another suggestion. 

Loink:label-style-text-component-editor-box-background-color 

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
user181

You can try the solution HERE

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
rl_jackson

I'm just going to add that this issue has always been quite annoying, considering we are in 2022. @ChrisRS I read an article in CADAYLST circa 1999-2001 that said Adesk was removing shx (love the STICK font analogy, they really do suck on all levels) in-leu of TTF. So way back then 2K LDD I created a script (still have it around here somewhere) to run to capture the drawing scale set in the drawing settings and adjust size accordingly (before annotation scale). Back then we had just gotten are first introduction to having a Model and Layout (PS) tab. I certain do think that SHX should be totally removed. If you can substitute romans.shx, you can certainly find a like TTF to solve the problem vs. carrying on valuable history, that really (at least no in my office) gets used anymore. Dinosaurs die, and get replaced. @user181, yes cleartext does solve some things, but I've seen it also creates some others. It is the solution to the OP's problem.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
deltacoolguy

I found this through one of the links above.  It has slight effects elsewhere, but helps a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc8fyBF-ksE

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report