Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy layouts between different drawings question

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jermurphySRM8F
1978 Views, 9 Replies

Copy layouts between different drawings question

Is there a way to copy layouts that include viewports between different drawings, but keep what is in the viewport in the process? Thank you.

Labels (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JRitner
in reply to: jermurphySRM8F

The simplest way I can think of off the top of my head is doing a SAVEAS and moving on from there.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Joel Ritner
C3D Certified Professional
BIM/Systems Manager
Najarian Associates, NJ
Message 3 of 10

Yes, we set up detail sheets and use the below method.

In the new drawing, right-click on any tab and choose Import from Template. There you can specify a .dwt or a .dwg. Select the drawing that has the layouts in it that you want. Once you click OK, you will get a small dialog box where you can select which layout tab you want to import into the new drawing.

Todd Rogers
Message 4 of 10

You can WBLOCK the viewport as a block, then import that block into your new layout in that different drawing.  Assuming the layout is the same between drawings, use 0,0 as the block insert point.

Once you've imported the block, explode it, then select it and use MVIEW -> ON to activate it.  

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 5 of 10

@jermurphySRM8F wrote:

Is there a way to copy layouts that include viewports between different drawings, but keep what is in the viewport in the process? Thank you.

If you're talking about what's shown in ModelSpace. That's basically a copy of the drawing. There are 3rd party apps that will cut the ModelSpace entities at the viewframe. Such as DotSofts Productivity tools.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
pendean
Message 7 of 10
Joe-Bouza

SSM saved views. drag and drop

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 10

You can use design center from the palettes menu on the home tab to copy a layout from any drawing.

walter_0-1595356924950.png

Thank you,
Walter

IDSP Premium 2016
Win 7 Pro x64, 256Gb SSD, 4Tb HDD
16Gb Ram Intel i7-5930K @ 3.50GHz
3-NVIDIA GTX 970 4Gb (12Gb) Triple Monitors
Message 9 of 10

Design center is a powerful tool for transferring info from one drawing to another. Blocks, Styles (not C3D styles), Layers, Layouts, Linetypes even xrefs.  Its a great way to pull over AutoCAD info from your standard drawings/Templates. 

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 10 of 10
cwr-pae

I regularly copy and paste the contents of paper space (including viewports) between drawings. You do have to already have or create the plot settings/page layout, but otherwise I've had no issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report