Upgrade expectations?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
923 Views, 8 Replies

Upgrade expectations?

Hello all -

I have a significant collection of drawings and symbols that were created in AutoSketch 6.0.

Having tired of using XP mode on my Windows 7 machine, I'm thinking of making the move to AutoSktech 10, but I'm concerned about the upgrade process.  I've searched the forums on the subject and seen some mention of fonts getting garbled, but not much else.

I tried contacting Autodesk, but their response was unresponsive: "We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we are unable to
assist you with this product inquiry at the online store. For detailed product information please contact Autodesk, Inc. for assistance at..."

Has anyone upgraded from version 6 to version 10?  What was your experience like - any issues?  Anything you'd do differently?

TIA

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I've used AS6, AS9 and AS10.   AS6 was a long time ago for me but I think that I imported files with no problem.   BTW, the one thing that I hated about AS6 (lame choices on line width) got fixed later on so that should be a nice improvement.  I've run AS10 on lots of different WIN7 machines (32 and 64 bit) with only the usual numerous Microsoft mentality problems.    

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, Fred.

Do you recall whether you imported any symbol libraries?

That's my chief concern; recreating those would make sticking with AS6 worth the nuisance of using XP mode - I use it for nothing else.

Nothing esoteric in my libraries, just a lot of accumulated time and effort.

It's unfortunate AUtodesk doesn't offer a trial version.  Seems a bit short-sighted as there are other programs out there.  (end of rant)

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I never imported any symbol libraries. I don't use symbols very much and  I've always managed to get by with the ones that come with the software, and I assume that you are referring to ones that you created.  Sorry I can't help on that.   I'm not very good at symbol libraries, but would be happy to try to import one into AS10 if you wish to post it.  

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

I've attached a compressed symbol file I created with AS6.

I would greatly appreciate hearing how they fare after being imported.

As a hobby, I design loudspeakers and this library contains drawings of some of the drivers I have used.

As such, they are almost all under 12" in any dimension (Imperial units, not metric) and most well under that.

They typically have multiple layers, but no data that maps to a database or anything in that vein.

Thank you, Fred.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

See attached.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Sorry for the delay.  I remember answering but don't see it here.   I was able to import and use those in AS10 with no problems.  So, happy sailing!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Thank you for testing this for me.

The attachment looks good enough for me to order a copy of AS10.

Cheers,

op

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for the confirmation, Fred.

Cheers,

op

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report