Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
164 Views, 4 Replies

Layers & Hatch

Whilst I'm ironing out my problems, I've got another couple to ask then I promise to stop annoying you guys.

I was just wondering if I can set the layers that objects are drawn on. For example our work has its own template and walls are drawn on a layer called A-STRUCTURE yet in Architectural they are drawn on A-WALLS. I guess what I'm asking is! Is it possible to change the defaullt layers that objects are drawn on?

I believe its possible to set the walls up to be drawn with a hatched infill! Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

Regards,

Haggis
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Wall layer: edit your current Layer Key Style and provide a different layer name for the WALL key. Better still, make a copy, edit the copy and then set the copy current. Unless you know you will never need the out-of-the-box settings and will never share your drawings with anyone else, I always recommend making customizations to ADT styles using a different name. That way there is no potential for the out-of-the-box version overwriting your customized version.

Walls can be drawn with hatched infills. Whether an infill displays depends upon the display settings in your current Display Configuration and your current view direction. The out-of-the-box wall styles use Material Definitions to avoid having style-level display overrides on all wall styles [as well as to provide one place to set how one material should be displayed, which can then be used in many styles]. For starters, assuming you are starting with one of the out-of-the-box ADT templates and using out-of-the-box wall styles, try setting the Presentation Display Configuration current and looking at walls that are cut by the cut plane in plan [Top view direction]. Then look at the High Detail Display Configuration.

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Haggis,

You can specify the layers that AEC object are drawn in by editing the Layer
Key Style. This is found in the Layer Manager Dialog box. Create a copy of
the default Layer Key style, open and edit the style by replacing the
default AIA layer names with your company standard layer names. Additionally
you can modify the layer naming rules by modifying the Layer Style also
found in the Layer Manager.

It is also possible to display hatching in walls. There are several methods
to doing this. One is through the use of Display Configurations, another is
by editing a wall style to display the hatching in the current display
configuration. you can also modify the Fire rating lines routines in the
Design Center to use a solid linetype for poche if you wish.

--
Ron Palma
CAD Manager
Alan Mascord Design Associates, Inc.
ronp@mascord.com
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Though this can be modified by changing the layer key style,
I would strongly encourage you to rethink your office standards. You have
been given a system OOTB in ADT, that is essentially internationally standardized.
Any advantages you gain by customizing ADT to a particular layer style
will be lost when consulting with others.

wrote in message news:5094021@discussion.autodesk.com...
Whilst I'm ironing out my problems, I've got another couple to ask then I promise to stop annoying you guys.

I was just wondering if I can set the layers that objects are drawn on. For example our work has its own template and walls are
drawn on a layer called A-STRUCTURE yet in Architectural they are drawn on A-WALLS. I guess what I'm asking is! Is it possible to
change the defaullt layers that objects are drawn on?

I believe its possible to set the walls up to be drawn with a hatched infill! Just wondering if someone could point me in the right
direction.

Regards,

Haggis
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Cheers for the Valuable help guys!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report