AutoCAD Plant 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Plant 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Plant 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have found out why my autocad freezes.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
RistoHolm
114 Views, 4 Replies

I have found out why my autocad freezes.

When my undo file gets about 1/2 GB in size Autocad refuses to cooperate and frezes. This always happen within 8 hours. So if I don't remember to restart about lunch time I'm in trouble. Between lunch and full day my drawings often (not always) stop obeying commands too. They don't freeze, but the commands don't go all the way. I can click and activate an object and start a command, but that's all about it it. It helps to close the drawing and open it again. Then it works again. Do anyone else recognize it, or am I unique?

I often have to google about weird phenomenons. Our bluebeem for instance can't print A4 size documents with our Xerox printer. Support at bluebeam can't find any solution and I have contacted Xerox support too, but ended not having the right series number. We gave up on that and use Acrobat instead. I guess this isn't the forum for this, but I'm just whining. 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
h_eger
in reply to: RistoHolm

Dear @RistoHolm ,

AutoCAD or AutoCAD Plant 3D?

for Plant 3D, please describe exactly how you work, e.g. locally, network or cloud?
Memory of your computer?
Local cache emptied?

-

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
Anlagenplanung + Elektotechnik
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
RistoHolm
in reply to: h_eger

Thank you for your fast reply.

It's Plant 3D.

I work over our network with servers in the same building.

My graphics is Nvidia RTX A3000 Laptop GPU

23 GB memory

Local cache, if you with that mean temporary folders, C:\ and user app data temp, no. That I can try. Cleaning isn't my strongest feature. 🙂

I work brutally I guess. I use undo command frquently and work fast. I use many steps on my way to a complete project. I do my strength calculations parallely after I have made my fist draft and often have to modify it depending on result of calculations. After this I have to fit my model into RL, often just to note that my model need some upgrades, and back to calculations. And so on. This I guess generates a huge undo file as it grows depending of every step I make in my session. Hence the not working commands, I guess. Full is full. The drawings often get a couple of MB in size with cad blocks, step blocks and image attachements.

Give me some days to try that with the cache.

I have used Autocad on almost daily basis for 26 years.

Thank you. 🙂

Message 4 of 5
h_eger
in reply to: RistoHolm

Dear @RistoHolm ,

the problem is the size of your RAM!
This should be at least 64GB for the way you work.
I also had this problem with a customer computer with only 32GB RAM.

I have also been working with AutoCAD for 34 years

-

If my reply was helpful, please give a "Kudo" or click the "Accept as Solution" button below (or both).

Hartmut Eger
Senior Engineer
Anlagenplanung + Elektotechnik
XING | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
RistoHolm
in reply to: h_eger

Thank you! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost