Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to import text with formatting in AutoCAD LT 2014?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
814 Views, 4 Replies

Possible to import text with formatting in AutoCAD LT 2014?

Good afternoon- I've created a word processing file, and would like to import it *with formatting* into AutoCAD LT 2014. Is this possible? The file is in outline format (it's a spec, and has a bunch of numbers and tabs)...but the tabs don't come in when I insert this text - it's all lined up, left justified. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Your method of "import"?
Are you wanting to maintain the link to the original word processor file?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Yes, ideally. I work in OpenOffice, but can save in most formats, including .rtf and .txt.
Message 4 of 5
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

COPY/PASTE between both open programs, after you select everything from the source file, would get you a snapshot. Double-click on that snapshot and your original document should open (linked): at least that's how Microfost Office products act.
OR
COPY then PASTESPEC command in AutoCAD/LT would get you more options to choose from.
OR
INSERTOBJ command can be used for the longer process of attaching and linking to a file.
OR
COPY/PASTE from the source file into an open MEXT WIndow, no link, but you get the formatting.

Note that with OLE linking, there is a size limit of around a single printed sheet.

Start experimenting: all the above work with more "office" applications but I don't have direct experience with OpenOffice to confirm.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Dean- Thank you very much for your help - it is much appreciated. Each of your described approaches works very well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators