Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toggle snap to xref?

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
gccdesign
10813 Views, 19 Replies

Toggle snap to xref?

Is there a way to toggle snapping to a layer or xref?

When using object snap and you are drawing with a busy survey xref in the background, the mouse cursor really hunts around a lot on the contour lines and stuff instead of on what I am drawing. But, I would like to see the contour lines as I go, rather than hide the layer.

GChapp

Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
pendean
in reply to: gccdesign

No.

If possible, try to limit the types of running osnaps or better yet explore only activating the osnap you need when you need it by either typing in the Osnap shortcut or using the Temp Overrides keyboard keys combo for that osnap.

Message 3 of 20
gccdesign
in reply to: pendean

Yeah, I think that is as good as I can get it.

But I do like my osnaps.

Thanks,

GChapp

Message 4 of 20
braudpat

Hello

Toggle OFF Osnap on XREF, would be in nice feature (maybe for a next release) !?

With a "real" AutoCAD (not LT) : technically it could be possible...

BUT with a very high level programming with ARX or DotNet

Bye, Patrice

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 5 of 20
Charles_Shade
in reply to: braudpat

I don't know, you might be able to Macro yourself into a different OSMODE when inserting an XREF even with "fake" LT. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 20
pendean
in reply to: braudpat

F3 on your keyboard, fake or real AutoCAD 🙂

Message 7 of 20
braudpat

Hello Mr Pendean

I like your Humour ...

Bye, Patrice from France

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 8 of 20
matthellfish

If you really want to do this then:

Put your XREF on layer DEFPOINTS

FREEZE layer 0

This will make the layer unselectable and you won't be able to snap to it. Once you are done, thaw the layer, and move everything back to where it should be.
Credit goes to CAD64 @
https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/topic/64187-turn-off-xref-snapping/

Message 9 of 20
luis-pl

Has this been fixed? it's been 10 years and I still can't turn off snapping to xref layers. F3 is no use because it disables all snaps, I basically want to have an xref drawing as a reference and the snapping messes up.

Message 10 of 20
pendean
in reply to: luis-pl

@luis-pl There is nothing to fix, nothing is broken: this is how the program works and has done for 40-years.
Explore the workarounds posted above your post for things to try.

Best wishes.
Message 11 of 20
hwalker

@luis-pl It's still what matthellfish posted. However in the link below someone has written an app which will make the xref not snappable

How to exclude Xref geometry from objects snap (OSNAP) in AutoCAD (autodesk.com)

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 12 of 20
luis-pl

It's still a wonky workaround. Maybe autodesk has reviewed this feature and has decided that it is not important and useful, so it did not allocate budget.

Hopefully they could improve on this part in the future, with $5B in revenue this year i'm sure it would be no big effort from their part.

Message 13 of 20
pendean

@luis-pl Feel free to tell Autodesk all of your wishes and desires here where they look for it all
https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback
Message 14 of 20
luis-pl

Thank you for the link pendant, but I have actually asked for this fix a few years ago already, that's why I was wondering when it will be implemented or improved.

Message 15 of 20
pendean

@luis-pl 99.99% of publicly traded companies like Autodesk never pre-announce future abilities in forums like these or anywhere else unless it's already been implemented and available to use.

Keep asking for what you want over and over again, the concept of one-and-done is something that's not been a reality since the mass-production and the industrial revolution kicked into high gear several centuries ago.
Message 16 of 20
MaemN9Z7R

I disagree. Yes, this is how the program works, but it is a definite limitation to functionality. Microstation has been able to achieve this functionality for years with a simple toggle in the references dialog that allows you to select whether certain reference files are snappable or not. Seems like a simple addition to the program which will save a lot of time and headache. 

Message 17 of 20
pendean
in reply to: MaemN9Z7R

@MaemN9Z7R wrote:

I disagree. Yes, this is how the program works, but it is a definite limitation to functionality.... 

Your opinion always matters, but there is nothing we end users just like you can do about it in these end-user forums.

But you can tell Autodesk about it where they look for such excellent feedback, here at this other website 

https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

@MaemN9Z7R wrote:

...Microstation has been able to achieve this functionality for years with a simple toggle...

I recommend you do you 100% of the time: looks like you need to switch to MS if this is a dire business workflow need for you all.

@MaemN9Z7R wrote:

...Seems like a simple addition to the program which will save a lot of time and headache. 

If it was simple, we would not be here writing about it. So there is that reality staring us all in the face.

Best wishes.

Message 18 of 20
matthellfish
in reply to: hwalker

To see that Autodesk posted a support solution to their website, 4 years after the one I put here, and it is the EXACT SAME work around I provided back then, should tell you all you need to know about where this one is going...
Message 19 of 20
jmacpherson

Microstation can do it 🤔

Message 20 of 20
pendean
in reply to: jmacpherson

@jmacpherson wrote:

Microstation can do it 🤔

Sadly that means nothing to anyone not using MS: but you can always switch to that if it is a require business tool.

you do you 100% of the time!

You can also offer up a detailed suggestion to Autodesk to add this ability over there where they look for feedback https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost