Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lengthening or stretching a line with an endpoint grip???

47 REPLIES 47
SOLVED
Message 1 of 48
jmoarch
21713 Views, 47 Replies

Lengthening or stretching a line with an endpoint grip???

I recently purchased LT 2012. I was using LT 2008 until now. When I grab a line from the endpoint grip and try to lengthen it by typing in a value it either shortens the length by the value I type, changes the overall length to the value I type, or does what I want it to- actually makes the line longer by the value I type but doesn't do any of these consistently. It's driving me crazy!!! It didn't do this in any older version I've used and I can't find a setting to change it. Anyone out there who could help? Pleeeeease! I don't normally use dynamic input but I tried that as well to see if it would work but no luck there either...

Tags (2)
47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48
Charles_Shade
in reply to: jmoarch

You have discovered something new with the current version of LT: Multi Function Grips

Hover over the Grip a moment before you try to do anything. There will be two options: Stretch and Lengthen.

Lengthen will do what you seek. It can be a bit woggy but with a little patience you will get used to it.

BTW - Look for these Grips in other places too. Dimensions have a lot more going on than they used to.

http://ltunlimited.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/04/more-multifunctional-grips.html

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 48
jmoarch
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thank you, I forgot to mention I relized I can do it that way but is there a way to go back to the old way of using the grip and set lengthen as the default?

Message 4 of 48
Charles_Shade

Dynamic Input (F12) Off should do what you seek.

Works here with Dyn Input Off.

Also right click the Drafting Settings in the bottom left of the Tray and choose Settings. Explore the Dynamic Input options there as this will give you mor control over what you are doing.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 5 of 48
jmoarch

No, dynamic input on or off makes no difference and I've tried changing the settings in there as well.

Message 6 of 48
jmoarch

The thing is, it seems so intermittent. For example, I'll keep clicking a line and trying to pull it 2 inches and sometimes it'll add the 2" and sometimes subtract the 2" or other times make the overall length of the line 2" and there never seems to be a constant outcome. It's like this on 2 pc's I've installed it on too.

Message 7 of 48
Charles_Shade

Soon as I turn off Dynamic Input the Grip functions as you describe here. Screenshot info for you.

ScreenShot001.jpg

Message 8 of 48
jmoarch

I'm at home on my other pc now and the settings are exactly as you've shown but the same thing happens whether the dynamic input is on or off. The only way it works consistently is if I hover over the grip and choose lengthen as you suggested earlier. It's a real bummer because I can't work as fast having to wait for the options to come up when hovering over the grip. I don't use many keyboard commands either so don't want to have to do that either.

Message 9 of 48
jmoarch

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Message 10 of 48
pendean

I think the issue may be file specific, not a system setting: start a new blank empty file (not from one of your templates). Can you repeat exact issue?

Message 11 of 48
jmoarch
in reply to: pendean

Just tried it and it does the same thing in a new blank drawing. AAAAAHHHHH!!!

Message 12 of 48
pendean

Post it, let's confirm.

Message 13 of 48
jmoarch
in reply to: pendean

Post it how? Screen shots? Is there a way to record a video in autocad? Sorry, I've never done that but I'm trying to figure out how...

Message 14 of 48
Charles_Shade

Post the drawing, down below, where it says Attachments.

Message 15 of 48
jmoarch

Here is a blank drawing I tried it in.

Message 16 of 48
Charles_Shade

No problem with Dynamic Input off

SWAG - What is your Polar Tracking set to? (That is the circle with and angle symbol in it in the Tray)

Message 17 of 48
jmoarch

polar tracking.JPG

Message 18 of 48
drjohn

@jmoarch wrote:

Here is a blank drawing I tried it in.

Test dwg works OK for me.

highlight the line, ORTHO on, drag to the right (+x), type in 3, length = 27

Regards,

DJ

Win 7 Pro

2012LT

Message 19 of 48
pendean

It must be a system setting then, your file is fine. Can't think of what that may be beyond what was discussed so far.

Message 20 of 48
Charles_Shade

Try Track Orthogonally Only with Dyn Input off

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost