Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create template LT2012

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
776 Views, 7 Replies

create template LT2012

I need help in creating a custom template for my drawings with custom layers, text, and diamensions 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
heinsite
in reply to: Anonymous

One way to "cheat" your way into a template design is to start with a past drawing where you had everything set up the way you liked.  Open that drawing and immediately save it as a DWT (template) file.  Then take everything out of the model.  If you resave it right here you'll at least have all the layers, text and dimension styles, units, custom fields, and you layout title blocks.  You can certainly customize like crazy from here, but it's a lot faster than trying to start from scratch and remember everything you did in your last project!

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: heinsite

Thank you Dave,

Really appreciated

I will follow the rule and see what happens

ersen

Message 4 of 8
Charles_Shade

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: heinsite

Dave,

I'm new to AutoCAD. I've been doing all of my drawings (believe it or not) in Rhino. So, I am familiar with layers, what they are used for, why they need to be set up, etc... but now that I need to start using AutoCAD (properly) I need to design a template from scratch. Your response to the question above makes perfect sense, and that is what I have been told to do, only problem is, I have never created that 1st detailed and layered CD set. Do you have any suggestions where I could go to get a "standardized" template or at least a template that would give me a solid foundation to start with from this point on?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

...by the way, I am using AutoCAD for Mac 2012. 

Thanks,

Mike

Message 7 of 8
Charles_Shade

Mac Forum:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-for-Mac/bd-p/520

Do you have an AutoCAD drawing that you have completed?

That has all the info that you want?

Save it as a DWT extention and then erase all the geometry.

Voila! A Template.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 8 of 8
heinsite

Spoiler

Mike,

Getting to a point where you finally understand how templates work and how to set up a useful set of title blocks can be somewhat difficult.  It took me a long time too, so don't feel too bad if everybody else seems to know what you can't quite figure out yet.  You really need to nail down several key ideas first:

1.  Attributed blocks and how you use them for sheet titles and borders;

2.  Annotative styles (Text, Dimension, Multileader, and Tables) - a key feature to streamline and standardize your work; and,

3.  Graphics standards.

The first two above you can learn from reference texts.  Two that I've leaned on heavily over the years are,

"AutoCAD Secrets Every User Should Know", by Dan Abbott, and,

"Mastering AutoCAD 2012 and AutoCAD LT 2012, by George Omura (this volume is updated with each new release).

The first text really helped me understand what Styles are all about by methodically working thru the process of setting a few up.  The second is great for a lot of things, but for me especially blocks.  Eventually the light will come on about how valuable a good DWT file is and how it keeps your work consistent.

If you work in a large office with other designers odds are good they already have established standards you can use regarding layers, linetypes, colors, blocks, etc.  But if you're on your own and don't have access to this kind of reference material you'll have to develop your own.  Layer standards can be simple or you can use layer names from AIA or MILSPEC standards... both of which you can find online.  

One last suggestion:  Watch for dwg files that people upload to these forums!  I can't tell you how many great ideas for layers, blocks, text, and other styles I've found tagging along with a file someone posted as either a question or answer.  But there can be lots of valuable pearls in there if you look.

Good luck!

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost